Eating healthy on a budget

Greenwoman

One of the biggest complaints about "eating healthy" is that it is expensive. Would you agree? My intentions are to somehow defy that belief and excuse and have wholesome and healthy fruits in vegetables in my home.

SoftRain

Let us know how it goes for you because I would love some tips. I find eating healthy to be pretty expensive, especially whenever I buy organic foods.

Alli

Eating healthy is indeed expensive. The only suggestion I have is to grow and preserve your own fruits and vegetables. We had a huge garden when I was a kid. We grew everything we ate, winter and summer, including beef and chicken.

Greenwoman

I am planning on moving into my own apartment, and I'm pretty sure gardening is out of the question. I will let you know what I end up with. So far I have been more wary about portion sizes.

StarGazer

Eating healthy isn't more expensive when you go for whole foods, rather than packaged and processed stuff. You have to shop in season, of course, unless you grow your own. Convenient healthy foods are rather an oxymoron, I think.

Greenwoman

I totally forgot all about how certain foods are available on during certain seasons. Where do you usually got o shop to get your whole foods, StarGazer? Also, do you tend to buy in bulk or as you need?

StarGazer

I mainly shop at the grocery store, but I also frequent farmer's markets. When I say whole foods, I just mean foods that are as close to nature as possible, so fresh produce, etc., and as little refined and processed foods as I can. I buy both in bulk and as needed, depending on the deals I find. When I can get a good deal for bulk, I either have a huge cooking day and freeze meals, or I simply freeze the foods as is.

Greenwoman

I need to find out where the farmer's market is around where I live. I think I may end up freezing meals, as you said, or somehow canning. Also, thank you for explaining to me what "whole foods" means. Actually, I believe that there is a store called "Whole Foods." I may visit that sometime soon, too.

SoftRain

Whole Foods is a great store, Greenwoman, but unless you get some awesome coupons, it's not good for the budget. I agree that eating "convenience" healthy foods are extremely expensive but it seems like even buying unprocessed healthy food adds up quickly.

freshfoodie

Eating healthy can be expensive, but there are ways to make it cheaper. Use coupons and hit sales whenever possible for healthy items. Grow your own fruits and vegetables if you can. I get a lot of my fruits and veggies from the markdown bin at the produce market because it can be frozen and used later.

Greenwoman

It has been centuries since I've been on an active coupon hunt. Where would I start in finding coupons? Also, I assume that prices are more reasonable at the Farmer's Market?

chabella

All Lady
It kind of depends on what you want. Are you buying in or out of season? Where are you shopping? Are you looking for deals or just grabbing things off the shelf? Using coupons, have a bonus card? Any type of shopping can be expensive but it depends, do you want to be fine now with that fast food or do you want to be rocking a fine body when you are older? :)

MissEm

I suggest doing an online search to see if there are any buying co-ops in your area. These groups buy produce, meats, and other products in bulk to save money. The co-op in my area deals in natural and organic foods. The good provides big savings over supermarket prices.