Drying herbs

shaunche

I've recently started drying herbs for the winter. We have loads of peppermint and oregano and it will be wasted if we don't dry it soon. I was surprised by how quick the herbs dry out, it only took 2 sunny days for dry and crispy herbs. Some say dried oregano is better than fresh oregano so I'm looking forward to trying proper dried oregano, not the bland dried herbs sold at the supermarkets.

Do you dry herbs? What herbs have you dried? Is oregano better fresh or dry?

dissn_it

I really do prefer fresh herbs but will take them any way I can get them. I do think drying your own herbs taste much better than store bought ones. My favorite way to preserve them is to freeze them in ice cube trays with just a little bit of water. Last year, I experimented with mixing herbs in them. So when making a marinara sauce I would grab one or two of the "italian herb" cubes and toss them into the sauce. I also used the stems to infuse flavor into oils.

xenon

I've recently started drying herbs for the winter. We have loads of peppermint and oregano and it will be wasted if we don't dry it soon. I was surprised by how quick the herbs dry out, it only took 2 sunny days for dry and crispy herbs. Some say dried oregano is better than fresh oregano so I'm looking forward to trying proper dried oregano, not the bland dried herbs sold at the supermarkets.

Do you dry herbs? What herbs have you dried? Is oregano better fresh or dry?
Yes, I dry herbs. I use those large paper bags you can get and put there herbs in and dry slowly in a warm dark and airy place. Ensure you stir them up every other day or they can go mouldy if you have too much in a bag. Of course fresh herbs are the best but if you can't have them all year round or just too lazy to go outside in winter then drying is a good start.

Esperahol

Is it wrong to use say a convection oven or some such for drying? I've a cousin who does it that way, and she says it works fairly well. She also likes to make oils and such, although that is generally more hit or miss.

shaunche

I really do prefer fresh herbs but will take them any way I can get them. I do think drying your own herbs taste much better than store bought ones. My favorite way to preserve them is to freeze them in ice cube trays with just a little bit of water. Last year, I experimented with mixing herbs in them. So when making a marinara sauce I would grab one or two of the "italian herb" cubes and toss them into the sauce. I also used the stems to infuse flavor into oils.
I prefer fresh herbs but many of the herbs we grow will die in the winter so we harvest the herbs and dry them for winter. Most herbs are better fresh but oregano is very good for drying.

I've tried freezing herbs, it ruined the texture, colour and flavour of the herbs.

dissn_it

I prefer fresh herbs but many of the herbs we grow will die in the winter so we harvest the herbs and dry them for winter. Most herbs are better fresh but oregano is very good for drying.

I've tried freezing herbs, it ruined the texture, colour and flavour of the herbs.
I do have some that grow on my kitchen window sill all winter long. It is a south facing window and even though it gets very cold and very little sun, they do pretty good there. When I do the ice cube tray method it is mostly herbs and very little water. No, it is not the same as fresh but they are not too bad.

shaunche

I do have some that grow on my kitchen window sill all winter long. It is a south facing window and even though it gets very cold and very little sun, they do pretty good there. When I do the ice cube tray method it is mostly herbs and very little water. No, it is not the same as fresh but they are not too bad.
I've tried using little water but I still wasn't satisfied with the herbs once they had defrosted. I tried freezing coriander and after defrosting it was brown and slimy. Do you use the herbs while they are still frozen or do you let the ice melt?

iampeebs

I used to just bundle them and hang them. Is this bad? I love the ice cube idea and will have to try this. We just moved and are herbless right now.

shaunche

I used to just bundle them and hang them. Is this bad? I love the ice cube idea and will have to try this. We just moved and are herbless right now.
No, that's a common method for drying herbs. I have dried a bunch of bay leaf using this method but it didn't work very well with other herbs. I'm not sure why, maybe the climate wasn't right. Which herbs do you hang for drying?

Jessi

I actually end up freezing more of my herbs instead of drying them. I like using fresh ones, so depending on the herb, frozen seems to be the next best thing. I do dry my own sometimes, though.

dissn_it

I've tried using little water but I still wasn't satisfied with the herbs once they had defrosted. I tried freezing coriander and after defrosting it was brown and slimy. Do you use the herbs while they are still frozen or do you let the ice melt?
I am usually adding them into a sauce mix so I just toss them in while they are still in the frozen state. I think the frozen water in the ice has been infused with some herb flavor as well.

shaunche

I am usually adding them into a sauce mix so I just toss them in while they are still in the frozen state. I think the frozen water in the ice has been infused with some herb flavor as well.
Yeah, adding the herbs in ice is the best way to do it. Let the ice melt and the herbs will not be in a good condition. I prefer to add fresh herbs at the end of cooking or dried herbs earlier in the cooking process. Which herbs do you freeze?

dissn_it

Yeah, adding the herbs in ice is the best way to do it. Let the ice melt and the herbs will not be in a good condition. I prefer to add fresh herbs at the end of cooking or dried herbs earlier in the cooking process. Which herbs do you freeze?
I make a mix of basil and oregano for marinara sauces. I also freeze thyme for poultry and fish dishes. I will freeze sage for poultry and sausage recipes. If I have enough, I will freeze some of my french tarragone for beef.