Drinking cold drinks with your meal

ohiotom76

Interesting, but at the same time certain drinks only taste good served cold. And what if you had a fever or something and was trying to cool down? Or were overheated during blistering hot weather. I certainly wouldn't want a cup of hot tea or coffee in those situations.

freshfoodie

I think it is interesting that the debate is about what the temperature of your drink should be and not about what we are eating. I tend to eat foods low in fat for most of my meals so I am not too worried about the temperature of my drink. I generally drink cold milk with my dinner.

misumaru15

I don't buy this. I think it's more important to think about what you eat, versus the temperature of it. I think any artery narrowing or blockages have to do with the fat and food you ate. It's not the temperature of beverage you drank.

My views are that everyone has an opinion on this but no facts. Your body will heat it up to the temperature it needs to be for your system to maintain digestion and other such functions so any chance of it coagulating seems to be nonsensical, at best.

I think it makes sense...think about when you jump into a pool of cold water its a sort of shock to the system. Our ancesters didn't have refrigerators. But I don't drink "hot" drinks often more along the lined of room temp sounds gross but I'm used to it now

Sent from my LG-VS700 using Tapatalk

gina121

The Chinese drink warm water or tea during and after a meal, as a habit. Some of my Chinese friends claim that it helps in digestion and breaks down the oils and fats they may have consumed during the meal. Almost always, you feel like using the toilet soon after every meal when you drink something warm. On the other hand, I've also heard that drinking cold water raises the metabolism as the body has to burn calories in order to warm the water! I'd stick to drinking water at room temperature after, rather than during, a meal.

Esperahol

I think it makes sense...think about when you jump into a pool of cold water its a sort of shock to the system. Our ancesters didn't have refrigerators. But I don't drink "hot" drinks often more along the lined of room temp sounds gross but I'm used to it now

Eh, that is not nearly the same thing. In the case of the pool example you are drastically lowering your body temperature all at once. In the case of a cold drink you are maybe lowering your temperature, but you can't be sure. I mean it takes quite alot of cold water or soda to lower your body down a point or more. And in other to congeal the fat you may or may not be eating you would need to lower your internal temperature by many degrees and maintain it long enough for the action to complete. It simply isn't possible. As for our ancesters, they didn't have dentists or hospitals either, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't/

HealthyS7

I have never heard of this theory before. That sounds like a silly wive's tale. I would think that the body's internal heat would just warm up that icy water anyway. I drink a lot of ice water and have had my cholesterol levels checked recently. Not too many blockages happening right now.

Basil Nut

I have a cold drink with every meal. Even in the winter time, I prefer cold over hot. I'll sip on hot coffee after a meal, but seldom with it.

chabella

All Lady
Is there any truth to this or is it a random net myth / old wives tale? I have been reading up on it again and it seems many sites conflict with one another and I just have to wonder if they are all getting random information from incorrect sources?

Greenwoman

I heard some chatter about how drinking cold fluids is supposed to help one lose weight, but I highly doubt that piece of knowledge is very accurate. Though, I will admit, right now I prefer something hot, like some Twinnings Earl Grey Tea.

Esperahol

I heard some chatter about how drinking cold fluids is supposed to help one lose weight, but I highly doubt that piece of knowledge is very accurate. Though, I will admit, right now I prefer something hot, like some Twinnings Earl Grey Tea.
As you wish Cpt. Picard! Seriously though right now I could kill a pot of coffee with a dish of raspberries and creme.

Well...I don't know any other way to put this but you maybe want to take some courses on logic and hone your skills because you are truly flawed and lacking much in this area.

When you jump into a pool you are lowering your core temperature extremely fast...just like if you go into a hot tub and it seems unbearable at first. This is nothing near the same concept as drinking warm vs cold beverages. How much do you think a cold beverage lowers your core temperature vs jumping into a cold pool? Very little.

Just because our ancestors didn't have refrigerators it didn't mean they didn't keep things cool...all you do is dig a hole in the ground...put a clay pot in it and then surround it with wet sand and you have a cooler.

beckyv1265

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it bile that breaks down fat? I believe the gallbladder releases bile to break it down into a form that the body can readily use. Unless you are drinking an insanely large amount of any liquid , I imagine the body , at 98.6 degrees , will alter the temperature. It is difficult to drink anything that is extreamly hot without burning your mouth or giving you brain freeze if its really cold. Since most beverages are sipped and not gulped then it would very quickly become body temperature when it reaches the stomach or very soon after.

claudine

I never drink anything cold while having dinner because if I do, I have symptoms similar to food poisoning. It's awful:mad: . The only drink that doesn't cause any problems is Pepsi, but Pepsi is unhealthy. Usually, I drink hot fruit tea.

Esperahol

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it bile that breaks down fat? I believe the gallbladder releases bile to break it down into a form that the body can readily use. Unless you are drinking an insanely large amount of any liquid , I imagine the body , at 98.6 degrees , will alter the temperature.
You are correct bile is used to aid in breaking down fat. Further since most digestion occurs over a period of hours if not days then it doesn't matter what temp. your drink is. This is a myth being presented as truth and an example of how misinformation is proprogated through communities.

shaunche

I had always heard that room temperature water with a meal was better than cold. Here's a link that proves us all wrong. Nice cold water for me from now on.

Is It Bad To Drink Cold Water With A Meal? | LIVESTRONG.COM
Livestrong.com is not the best source, to be fair. I have read so much nonsense on that website. Their aim seems to be to write as many articles as possible even if the writer has limited knowledge on the subject. I'm not saying they are right or wrong in this instance, just that they are often wrong, whoever 'they' is because I think their content comes from many random writers.