Don't get pets if you cannot afford them

lolli

I have seen so many neglected pets in the last month. It drives me crazy. People should not get pets if you cannot or will not take care of them. Pets need to go to the "doctors" each year too just like us.

Sagebrush

My vet and I were just complaining about the same thing. He said he was currently treating 10 dogs for heartworms, which is 100% preventable. People want to skip buying those expensive heartworm pills. They just end up either killing their dog, or spending 10 times as much treating it.

freshfoodie

I agree, but you have to remember that a lot of people have hit hard times recently. Maybe they bought their pets when they could afford them and can't bear to part with them. I know a lot of people who can't afford to take themselves to the doctor these days either. I try not to judge people if I don't know their circumstances.

Sagebrush

Oh, I understand and agree, FreshFoodie, about unexpected circumstances. But these dogs that my vet and I were talking about were receiving the very, very expensive (and not always 100% effective) treatment for heartworms. So you have to wonder, if they can afford the treatment, couldn't they have afforded the much cheaper preventative?

StarGazer

Hear, hear! I get so mad when people say they can't afford to take their animals to the vet. I can understand an emergency and having to scramble to pay, but annual exams and shots should be taken into account before you get a pet.

Cassia

Maybe some people don't realize the responsibilities that go with having pets until they own one. To them, having an animal is as simple as selecting one, bring them home, and feeding them.

chabella

All Lady
I am a very big stickler on this myself and it is always sad to see. We actually adopted a new kitty into the family last week and she came from another shelter that could no long afford to stay open. Walking through the place I could not believe how many animals they had.

lolli

I am sorry... I know things happen but pets still need to go for checkups. They also need to be fixed. Someone dropped another cat off at my house! It is sick! This cat is so skinny!

rayne

We now have our second rescue kitty! This one was dropped off in my neighbor hood, wandered up to my front door and was scared to death. After feeding her for several days and getting her into the house, she is adorable, eats like a horse and of course we are going to keep her. There's no excuse for someone to dump animals. I'd like to dump them sometimes.