Does oregano have medicinal properties?

StarGazer

A friend of mine just gave me some from her garden. I'm not a big fan of oregano in cooking, but hers has a beautiful fragrance so I'm thinking it's a different kind than what I buy in the store. I might add some to my garden next spring, just for the smell, but I'd rather use it medicinally than cooking.

Cassia

I am not into using oregano for culinary purposes either. I find its smell too strong. In terms of its health benefits, I read that oregano is beneficial to our gastrointestinal health, and because of its anti-fungal properties, it can help heal skin problems.

StarGazer

I didn't realize that oregano was anti-fungal. I wonder if I could make an extract or infusion using the leaves and then use that to make a lotion or soap? I'll have to look into that further.

Aconite

If it's just regular oregano, then the medicinal properties are small. If it's the wild Mediterranean version (Origanum Vulgare) then you'll really get the anti-bacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal properties. I order capsules or the essential oil on Amazon all the time.

Myrrh

I read somewhere that oregano is a rich source of dietary antioxidants. Also, oregano contains significant amounts of minerals such as iron, manganese, and calcium. It has fiber, so that makes it good for digestive health.

StarGazer

Oregano is used in such small amounts when cooking, I doubt that the nutritional part really is significant to a daily diet, though. Perhaps I'll grow some just to add to scented items, instead of medicinals.