Do You Think Homemade Is Better?

Weezle

Do you think homemade soap is better for your skin than commercial soaps? You don't have a lot of the extra preservatives and chemicals that are used in commercial so I would guess it is. How about you?

naturelady

I do think it is much healthier for us then most commercial soaps. Don't soaps contain parabens? Parabens are very bad for you. We forget sometimes that things we use on our skin absorb into our bodies.

Hedda

I only use Ivory soap, which to my knowledge is quite pure. I don't see the need to make my own when there is such a good product as Ivory on the market.

gemini

I've been using Ivory soap for years, but they've started adding a fragrance. They still have the original formula, so I always try to remember to check for "original" on the package before I buy it.

CrankyMonkey

I think that homemade anything is generally better for you because you can control the ingredients that way. I make lots of cleaners and facial scrubs homemade.

strawberry

I always buy soaps made from only natural ingredients and are chemical free. It's kind of ironic to think that natural is more expensive than man-made. One of these days I hope to get into soap making. Although it's always interested me, I've never had the time to get into it.

SoftRain

Yes, homemade soaps are better for you because they are free of sulfates, parabens, and other nasties. I also find they are more moisturizing, generally speaking.

Lena51

Homemade soaps are always better for you. After all, you know what you are putting in your personal homemade soaps. You will come out with a better and more healthy product. You just can't beat that and you never know, your skin will not age as fast as with that store bought stuff.

xenon

My neighbor makes soap from the fat from her pigs. It doesn't smell so rosy but unfortunately out of politeness we accept it. I would like to say to my neighbor leave the fat on the pigs.She goes to a lot of trouble rendering down the fat and then making the soap. I guess I will have to say next time she offers it that we do not use it. Come clean so's to speak.

shaunche

It depends on the ingredients you use to make the soap. It is not better if you make the soap using more or less the same ingredients as manufactured soap. If you use natural ingredients it is obviously much better for you.

In my experience the homemade soaps are a ton better! I know I buy Goats milk soap from a farmers market and I have never had an issue when using her soap. However, if I use the goats milk soap the store sells I always break out!

Personally, I find homemade soaps to be better. They don't contain the harsh chemicals manufactured soaps do and they don't dry my skin out.

SoftRain

It depends on the ingredients you use to make the soap. It is not better if you make the soap using more or less the same ingredients as manufactured soap. If you use natural ingredients it is obviously much better for you.
Well yes, that's a good point. When I said homemade was better, I was assuming natural ingredients were used.

My problem is I have a hard time not buying homemade soap. Whenever I see some for sale I have the urge to buy it, whether I need it or not!

natuska

Make sure soap homemade allways be the best. When you buy it you really don´t know what you are eating...many preservatives could be a damage for your health. Unless the alternative soap those you can buy in "natural shops". But the best is make in home. It´s a great advice for who care about the health. And think about, soup homemade is so easy and quick! Just some vegetables and another ingrendients, you have your snack in a simple half hour!

Ja'cobeC

I think its really good for you. Any homemade is pretty much better for you then the other products. I been using homemade products for years and I still look young lol.

beckyv1265

Render pork fat and ashes are what they made lye soap out of for years. You can add fragrent oils if you prefer it to smell better. It is better for your skin because the fat holds in moisture. I bet she has great skin. lol

Suzie

I just don't think I can bring myself to take the time to make homemade soap when I know I could easily buy it at the store. I'm horrible, I know.

Mrs. Rogers

There are some that are really fantastic. There's this one store on Hyena Cart that I fell in love with. I need to look them up again. They had some shampoo bars that were out of this world.

dissn_it

I have not yet tried to make my own but I have purchased handmade soap from other folks that do. Some of them have been really good and others would dry my skin pretty bad. I am not sure why there is a difference but I now only buy one kind that I get from the local farmer's market. I hope she keeps making her soap fo a long time.