Do You Prefer Beeswax or Regular Wax?

writer811

When you make candles, do you prefer to use beeswax or regular wax and why? Is one cheaper than the other or does one make longer lasting candles, etc.? Enlighten me! :)

SoftRain

I want to try beeswax but haven't yet; thanks for the reminder! I just use paraffin wax right now. I'm not sure how paraffin wax is made but I'm willing to bet that beeswax is more natural.

AnonaMoss

I would rather beeswax when candle making. My favorite over both of these would be soy candles though. I believe that most times beeswax is more expensive that paraffin.

writer811

I know a couple who raise bees for a living. They jar and sell honey but they also use the wax/honeycomb to make candles. They say that they last longer and have a pleasant smell when they burn. Do you know if there's a pleasant smell? I've only ever worked with parafin.

Esperahol

Beeswax - while more expensive it tends to hold up better and it has an astethetic appeal to it in terms of both scent and looks.

xenon

I made and sold candles in the past using mostly paraffin which I bought cheap from an oil refinery depot. I prefer beeswax candles these days as they do smell better. The trouble with paraffin is styrene is often added to increase burn time which I bought and added. You need to have good ventilation as this product is not good for your health. I did google up this article which adds a lot more info...http://www.babybellies.ca/index.php?pr=Article-Toxic-Paraffin-Candles

shaunche

Beeswax is obviously a better option for your health because it is natural. Beeswax is more expensive but I prefer the smell and I think it is worth it. Ideally you would find cheap beeswax from a local beekeeper. Some beekeepers give it away for free!

claudine

Beeswax is obviously a better option for your health because it is natural. Beeswax is more expensive but I prefer the smell and I think it is worth it. Ideally you would find cheap beeswax from a local beekeeper. Some beekeepers give it away for free!
I agree. Beeswax is worth the money. I'm only a beginner in making candles but I've already tried both beeswax and regular wax and I like the first one much more. I don't know about lasting, I didn't see a big difference between these two, but the smell is so much better. I didn't know you can get it for free! I must go and ask my local beekeepers. Thanks for the tip.

shaunche

I agree. Beeswax is worth the money. I'm only a beginner in making candles but I've already tried both beeswax and regular wax and I like the first one much more. I don't know about lasting, I didn't see a big difference between these two, but the smell is so much better. I didn't know you can get it for free! I must go and ask my local beekeepers. Thanks for the tip.
Some beekeepers will give it away for free. Even if they charge it will probably be cheaper than buying in the shops. I would opt for organic beeswax if you want pure beeswax without any added chemicals. Chemical-free beeswax is more expensive.

Sage

I like prefer regular wax when I'm using molds that have intricate patterns. For candle jars and small votive size candles, I like beeswax.

catevanne

I've heard that beeswax lasts longer and burns better-is this the truth? Several candlemakers I know told me it's easier to work with.