Do you ever find yourself wondering...

Esperahol

If maybe, just maybe you are a little too concerned with vitamins and nutrition? I sometimes go through these threads and it seems like there is very little enjoyment coming from meals so much as there is this desperate need to cram as many mg and such of "healthy stuff" as possible. I mean after a time surely you would feel that eating was more a chore then a gift given?

Sugarhill

No. I find it all very fascinating. I think the human body is a magnificent thing and that I can actually a semblance of control on how it works and doesn't work is an honor. I think most people enjoy when they see that they improved the mechanics of their body and conversely, sense disappointment when they see they have allowed so many days go to waste.

As for knowing what is in my food, how long does it take to learn that and then plan a diet around what you've learned? You already knew what you liked and didn't like while growing up, but now you've learned that what you like should be something that you love because of this reason or that reason.

Everyone has a hobby or an vested interest, for some, it's their health.

Lyra

I think you may get an unbalanced view of people's interest if you just know them from this forum. I am improving my diet step by step, but I don't eat a diet of nothing but sprouts and wheat germ. I think it is all about changing the things you can, when you can. It sometimes takes me a long time after learning new information to find a way to make changes in my habits.

SifuPhil

I know what you mean, E! Although I went through formal training for health and nutrition, for the last 20 years or so I've been an "intuitive eater" - I eat what I want, when my body seems to want it, in the amounts that it wants.

So far, I'm healthy as a horse. Of course, some common sense has to be applied with this type of eating - I can't slip into McDonald's and tell people "My body is telling me it wants five Big Macs!" But beside such obvious cautions I find that if I truly listen to my body it will tell me what I need.

shaunche

Eating isn't a chore for me, neither is improving my knowledge on nutrition and what is good for me. I actually think healthy food is delicious and makes you feel good. Of course, indulging in unhealthy food from time to time is enjoyable, so long as it is a treat rather than your every day eating.

save27

I find myself not being concerned enough with nutrition...I need to get way more protein but never keep track!

I generally eat healthy, so when I eat a treat or something I don't necessarily feel bad....although if I eat a lot of sugar in a given period of time I feel afraid I will get sick or something like that.

Suzie

I don't think I'm concerned enough either. I over-indulge and love food a bit too much. I have a horrible sweet tooth on top of it, too!

Myrrh

I have never think of eating as a chore. I admit that I am becoming more and more conscious of what I eat, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying a piece of blueberry cheesecake or French fries once in a while. Some people might think that all the 'healthy' stuff are boring and bland, but I disagree. :)

dziomek

I don't think I'm concerned enough either. I over-indulge and love food a bit too much. I have a horrible sweet tooth on top of it, too!
I too have a very sweet tooth; I am trying to avoid buying or making things that are filled with sugar and spice and all things nice. This coming from a person who made her daughter Drumstick Cake for her birthday. :D I'll work extra in the garden tomorrow. :)

save27

Sometimes. Like around holidays, I am look who cares about this nutrition, I am going to eat all kinds of sugar! But usually when I do that I get sick. Generally, I don't worry too much about nutrition, but I should probably worry more about how much protein I get.

beckyv1265

I eat because I love food. I don't add vitamins and minerals. I choose good quality and fresh ingredients and use herbs and spices to make it taste fantastic. I don't eat just to fill up or top off a vitamin content. If you don't eat a healthy diet than suplimentation is necessary. I think that if you do than you get enough in your food. I just love the taste of great food.