Do men smoke more often than women?

Statistically, throughout most of history in most countries, men have smoked more than women. I'm not sure if that is still true today, I know the gap is closing. It is partially due to the notion that it is un lady like, but there may also be some biological factors at play also.

I really don't think gender plays a role as far as smoking goes. Ladies are definitely, generally, more self conscious about themselves, which would be the only reason women smoke less than men. But as others have said, if the statistics were rolled out, I feel it would be a pretty close ball game.

Jatelo2

The issue is a delicate and none uniform as you transcend cultures! Overall though we have more men smoking as compared to women!

I'm having difficulty locating statistics on line right now. Books I have read on the subject though show that for at leas the last 60 years more men have smoked then women in the US, UK and Australia, although in all countries the gap is closing.

ghanashyam

Banned
This may be true for the Western countries whereas in Orient countries, typically India, smoking by ladies is considered a taboo and is limited to celebrities and the lower class women. Here in India, man smoke more than woman though I can see visible difference now that most of educational institutions and offices have smoking banned.
India, is typically orient in nature and smoking in the house and in the presence of elders or children is considered very indecent.

I know more women that smoke than guys but that isn't saying much because I am such a small sample with not many smokers in my group anyway. I bet studies would show that this is pretty close to 50/50.

HealthyS7

I think it is around even. I just know that in the past they would make it look cool and manly for men to smoke, but now it's about even around here in Los Angeles. I just think the ladies smoke to help themselves lose their appetites and stay thin.

claudine

In my area men smokes more often than women. To be honest, it's easier for me to accept a male smoker than female, I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because I feel that women are delicate and lovely and it's strange for me to see them with these stinky cigarettes in their mouth. Women want to be pretty and smoking makes teeth and fingers yellow.

ProForums777

I don't think is fairly even at all, men smoke way more then women. However, you do find extremes smokers in both cases. However, when referring to your question about how often, men by far. There are always men smoking on the streets, very rarely there are a bunch of women roaming the sidewalks smoking. This depends on what city you are from of course, but overall from the many cities that I've been, it has been mostly men.

jovan107

Personally, I only know two men who smoke, but at least 30 women. I would like to think men smoke more than women, but most times in my location I always see women smoking.

Esperahol

This may be true for the Western countries whereas in Orient countries, typically India, smoking by ladies is considered a taboo and is limited to celebrities and the lower class women. Here in India, man smoke more than woman though I can see visible difference now that most of educational institutions and offices have smoking banned.
India, is typically orient in nature and smoking in the house and in the presence of elders or children is considered very indecent.
Well, looking at your comment that really wouldn't mess of the distribution much would it? Rich people and poor with some deviant middle-class folks... sounds about right. In the States it is about the same, and proably in most countries it would hold true. There would also be the intellectuals, the rebels, and slackers most of whom would be rather young, yes?