Deadly Combinations?

SEA81

I took a microbiology class a few years ago and something has always stuck with me. My professor said that there many deadly herbal combinations, and that you shouldn't just take whatever.

I know this probably true, but it seems like it's something that would be really rare. It makes me wonder, though. Does anyone have any insight to add?

wanderingherb

Why do you think this is possibly true? A lot of evidence and lawsuits show death via modern meds, but death via herbs??? Show me. You tell me of a "deadly" combination and at what dosage was this deadly combination made and what percentage of each of the combination?

misumaru15

I'm thinking this could be more so with the pill herbal supplements than the natural herb. I haven't heard of people having interactions among herbs. I have heard of them with prescription drugs.

Tecca_Nina

I have never heard of two herbs together being deadly, but there is a few herbs you want to avoid if you are taking certain drugs.

SifuPhil

Try combining valerian root with St. John's Wart - it's quite possible to induce coma or death. In fact, St. John's Wart shouldn't be taken with ANY other blood-thinning herbs. But the people that self-medicate don't always know this.

Ma huang, a Chinese herb used to increase vitality and energy, when mixed with a caffeine-containing product can lead to heart palpitations, insomnia or stroke.

shaunche

There are deadly herbal combinations, two safe herbs can interact to produce a deadly compound. Most herbal combinations are not dangerous, but you need to have a basic understanding of the combinations which will harm your health.

dissn_it

In looking for other possible combinations, I actually came across a very good website that gives more of a lesson on how to use herbs safely. I thought that it would be good to post here: Using Herbs Simply and Safely by Susun Weed.
If you are taking any prescriptions, be sure to check with your doctor before taking any type of herbs. It sounds like that is where most of the problem combinations are and people don't realize the danger.

Mrs. Rogers

I took a microbiology class a few years ago and something has always stuck with me. My professor said that there many deadly herbal combinations, and that you shouldn't just take whatever.

I know this probably true, but it seems like it's something that would be really rare. It makes me wonder, though. Does anyone have any insight to add?
I suggest talking to your Pharmacist because it's true some herbs can even cause your Prescription meds to work too well or not at all.

gidget

People have to remember that herbs can sometimes pack a powerful punch, depend on what you're using. They have medicinal qualities and most drugs do come from the earth, more or less along with what they add in the chemical lab.

SoftRain

I can believe it. Just because something is natural doesn't mean it's safe, and I think sometimes people forget that. That's why it's important to do your research and talk to an herbalist as necessary.

Even natural herbs/remedies can cause problems with some people. They may be allergic or it may react with other medications they are taking. It is never a good idea to start taking something, natural or not, without consulting your doctor or pharmacist especially if you are taking any other medications.