Cutting Long Haired Dogs Fur Off

ThymeandTide

My neighbor has a Husky who was having a ton of shedding at the first of the summer. She took her to a groomer and had her fur shaved off down to the skin. I've always heard that long haired dogs are insulated against heat as well as cold and you shouldn't cut their hair. What do you think?

Redsky

I've known a couple of long haired dog owners who did that, only it was because their fur became matted and tangled. Doing it because of the shedding seems a bit weird, but if the groomer didn't say anything against it then I assume it's okay.

I think I would check with a few Vets and see what they have to say about it. I've heard the same thing about it insulating them. I think there is probably a reason for them to have long hair?

HerbalMajik

It is best to check with a vet as MysticMornings advised. The dog may be shedding, but it is unsafe for it to lose ALL of its hair.

Aletha

I honestly don't think it hurts them. I have seen many have their fur shaved off and none has suffered any long lasting effects. As a matter of fact, they seem to have enjoyed the freedom. Think of how you feel if you get your hair cut after it's been long for a while.