Cultivating Patience

SoftRain

What strategy has worked best for you in developing patience? I'm working on it but it's slow going. It seems like tips fly right out of my head when I get impatient.

herbalnut

Have you ever heard of using a process called mindfulness? This is what I use when I find myself growing impatient, annoyed, and anger. It's hard to explain in a single post, but it may be something that may help. It can be visualization, descriptions, sensations, focusing, etc. Search for mindfulness activities.

chabella

All Lady
This is something I work on every day as I think there is always room for improvement. It is funny now that I am older certain things do not bother me at all (someone taking too long at a 15 item and under checkout compared to a bad driver).

Cassia

My family and friends say that I am a lot more patient than most people are, and I think I am. :rolleyes: Of course, there are instances which make me lose my patience, and during these moments, the first thing I usually do is take a deep breath and stay away from the source even just for a short while.

SoftRain

Thanks everyone. I find deep breathing really helpful too; the issue is remembering to start taking those deep breaths instead of flying off the handle.

Luvkenny

I find that I have less patience as I age. I try deep breathing and counting to ten. A lot of times that works but sometimes it doesn't. I would love to learn more about mindfulness.