Craving what makes you sick?

Lindsey

I have heard that oddly people tend to crave things that actually make them sick. Lactose intolerance and an overall bad reaction to dairy products runs in my family, yet we love to eat these foods. Why is that?

thecure

I guess it is the realization that you cannot eat a lot of it which makes it a luxury item. For instance, if something is really expensive and you can only have a limited amount of it or almost nothing of it, you will really want it. Like a branded new jacket etc.

CaughtInAmber

I think it's that also. I don't see the body actually craving something that would be harmful to it otherwise. I have a problem with milk but can eat milk that's been processed such as cheese and yogurt. It's really strange but I love cheese, cream cheese, cottage cheese and yogurt. I also love sour cream and the dishes you use it in. I don't like buttermilk so much but I do love to cook with it. Strange isn't it?

GetGoing

I think it is more psychological than it is physical. We crave what is NOT ALLOWED. Case in point, chocolate for those who are trying to lose weight ---- like me! LOL

Dreyfush

Good analysis guys, and I agree with that. We like breaking the rules, we like challenges and I think the fact that we cannot eat something (which is not necessarily delicious) challenges us to take the food.