Controlling Mint

Aletha

I have a patch of peppermint and spearmint and they are growing out of control. I have to either pull the runners out of the ground or mow it down. How do you control where the mint grows? This is growing so fast it's ridiculous!

Myrth

The only way I have found to control mint is to contain it. You can grow it in containers. You can grow it in a bed that is surrounded by concrete, such as between a house foundation and a wide sidewalk. It is extremely invasive otherwise.

Myrth

As an aside, I grow potted mint in my kitchen. I love pinching off a sprig and putting it in my hot tea. YUMMY!

jason

Have a great day
I grow them in containers to keep them under control. If not they spread like wildfire here.

Primrose

I can tell you they grow out of control. What started out to be a small stand of oregano and sage has now taken over my front flower bed. I have pruned unmercifully and it only seems to make it grow better. All the rain we have had this year has seemed to drown out part of the oregano which hasn't hurt my feelings in the least. Next time, I'll use pots. :)