Container gardening

TabithaW

This is our first year to have a garden. We have a couple raised beds and some containers. I am really preferring the containers. We are using recycles 5 gallon buckets (from cat litter) and they are easy to tote around. We can move them if they are getting too much or too little sun.

What does everyone else use for container gardening?

dissn_it

I have two really large containers that I bought from Costco for less than $30 a piece. They are really large and were light in weight when they were empty. They are about 3ft high and 2 ft wide at the top. Once I got them filled up, they are now almost too heavy to move. I have all the lettuces and veggies for fresh salads planted in the two of them. I also have a rectangle shaped container on my kitchen window sill. This one has all the fresh herbs that I use while I am cooking planted in it.

Anything that is thrown out by neighbours i sometimes have to paint or do a little repair work but as long as it can be filled with soil a plant goes in it. Jugs old white sinks (these are now hard to find) boxs anything really

Cat litter tubs rule. I currently have two tubs growing my windows. There are some peas in one and cherry tomatoes in the other. So far they seem to be going well. We got a late start this year so hopefully next year we'll be able to do some more properly outdoors like you Tabitha.

We have a few raised beds that are made out of recycled cinder blocks. We put the with holes up and fill the holes in the cinder blocks with soil and compost, and plant flowers and herbs in them. And in the main part of the raised bed we planted our vegetable plants. It looks very pretty too! We do have containers as well that we plant some of our herbs and tomatoes in.

plsargent

The reusable grocery shopping bags work really well also. The ones with the plastic like feeling on the outside are best since they hold the water in better then just the cloth ones do. I have some I'm "trying" to grow in, but a couple of friends of mine have a big beautiful veggie garden growing in theirs this year.

iampeebs

I use anything that I can get my hands on for free as money is an issue for us. I make sure to drill holes in the bottom of my plastic containers. I fill them with soil from the woods behind my house as I prefer not to dig hole in my lawn.

ghanashyam

Banned
The old plastic buckets or earthen pots are best for growing small plants like ginger and Black Tulsi. These both are anti fever and anti infections medicines and are used widely in India for daily use in tea in the morning.

Basil Nut

My brother lives in the country and has made an outdoor bedroom and bath in a corner of his yard. It's really cute. He put up an old brass bed and literally turned it into a "flower bed" by planting flowers where the mattress would be. He added big porcelain old-fashioned bathtub as a container garden. The white sink went in this past summer. He threatens to add a toilet, but his wife will probably win on this one. It's really cute.