Coffee Cans?

wildcherry

I save coffee cans, and I have so many sitting around. I'm always thinking about what I can do with them for a craft project. How about candles, would this work?

freshfoodie

I would think you could decorate them and put candles in them. They are metal after all. I would be careful where you sit them though. We have done all kinds of things with them from making piggy banks to making drums. There are tons of ideas.

Paisley

I donate all my extra coffee cans to the local school art department. They use them for mixing paint and doing various arts and crafts projects. They seem to be happy to take all I can save for them.

SoftRain

That's a great idea, Paisley! I'll start doing that too.

Coffee cans will work for candle molds but if you leave the candles in there for burning, remember that the metal will get hot.

wildcherry

Oh, Ok. I was thinking more of using them as a mold and removing them from the can, but decorating the can itself is probably a better idea. Yeah, great idea about donating them to schools, that never crossed my mind!

wonderfuls

I like some of these projects but we do not use standard coffee anymore so we do not have the cans. Since we got the espresso type machine we just have those k-cups now.

AnonaMoss

Now that is creative!

I've never seen that done before. I'd totally buy a candle if it was in a coffee can. I think an idea like that would do really well. I think two or three wicks would look really nice as well.

I seen an article in a magazine where these can be used for laterns. If you put a handle on them and a candle you can get some extra light for when you walk around without having to burn your hands.

Mrs. Rogers

We use them for gathering eggs, using for feeding our hens, etc. My husband uses them to sort things in his shed. We have WAY too many LOL.

HealthyS7

I use them to collect cigarette butts or I use them to sprout plants in my garden. They are great for crafting too. When I am done with them, I just recycle them. I try to get as many uses as I can out of them though.

dissn_it

I can't seem to find metal coffee cans much anymore. It seems like all the coffee that I buy now is sold in either a plastic or a cardboard type of container. Does any one know of a particular brand that is still sold in the old fashioned metal container?

Lena51

That's a great idea to make candle molds in there. The idea to give them to the arts and crafts department at schools is great also. We all can help the schools in this way. I had never thought of this way before to help schools as much as we can. That will give all of us something to do to help the children and their teachers.

I like the idea of making candles in coffee cans. It would be a great way to use up those coffee cans that I don't like to throw away. It drives my husband batty to see them sitting unused.

dziomek

I think they would work great for 3-wick candles. :) I have never made candles in them but have used them for nuts and bolts and sorting other things. I was very disappointed when my brand switched from the metal cans to paper. Mind you, it would be easier to remove the paper from the candle than trying to pry a candle out of a metal mold.

beckyv1265

I just put whaat I don't need in the recycle bin. Mine are made from plastic. Some I keep to store extra flour and sugar in when we go camping. It keeps things dry and the bugs out.

beyreNC

They even sell coffee in cans anymore? My hubby buys Eight O'Clock coffee in the pouches. I love all the alternative ideas you folks have come up with :D I especially love the idea of giving them to schools for art classes. Kudos!

Gosh, I remember a time when coffee cans were used for storage in the garage or workshop ... nuts, bolts, screws, odds n ends ... and then us kids would use them to save "treasures" in LOL.

I guess you could make a really large "telephone" with them LOL.