Cleaning black off the glass

MarBell

I burn candles all the time in my bathroom. I have one vase I really love, but the top of the rim stays black from all the burning. Is there someway other than to wash it continually to keep the black from forming?

Brea

I think if you experiment with different types of candles, like soy and beeswax, and the size of the candle you can fix your problem. Are soy candles the ones that are suppose to be the best type of candle due to health reasons?

naturelady

I wonder if trimming the wick in between lighting it would help to reduce the production of soot. It might be worth a try, anyway. Hope you get this problem solved!

strawberry

I've noticed this problem when I don't keep the wicks trimmed. I always try to trim off any part that has been burned if possible and this seems to help. I also used to put a lid on my candles to put them out rather than blowing them out. That always seemed to create more smoke inside the jar, so I now just blow them out and hold my breath so as not to breathe in the smoke.

SoftRain

Keeping the wick properly trimmed should help a lot with soot, but I run into this issue too. I haven't yet tried a soy candle but if it helps with soot, great!

wanderingherb

I think if you experiment with different types of candles, like soy and beeswax, and the size of the candle you can fix your problem. Are soy candles the ones that are suppose to be the best type of candle due to health reasons?
Tes. We use soy especially for aromatherapy cause of the throw and lack of suet and safety. Soy washes with soap and water. Beeswax and parafin do not. It is also more economical that beeswax.