Candles from Crayons

rayne

During my childhood, I beleive my mom made candles one year using wax, old crayons and ice cubes. I cannot remember how she did it. Anyone know???

Suzie

I remember making these as well. I also remember taking a wick and dipping it on each side to make the longer candles. I don't think crayons were used to make the wax for that one.

Waynefire

I have never seen this. I know my kids have plenty of crayons laying around so I am sure this will provide some unique looking candles. Hopefully I can follow this recipe which was provided.

Laurasav

Gee, this brings back some old childhood memories for me too! I remember my mom making candles a couple different summers when my siblings and I were young. We had a summer place up north on the lake and she made candles using sand somehow. I don't remember the specifics, but I do remember how cool they were. I vividly recall a PURPLE one she made for me! The crayon ones sound cool to make! Thanks for a trip down memory lane.

Lyra

No, I've never done this. It does sound like fun! I have melted them down to make round crayons in a mini muffin tin, but I had no idea you could use them to make candles.

This looks like it would be an easy recipe to follow! I will have to try this as a craft or art project with my kids. Hopefully they do not mind me using some of their old crayons!

That is neat. I have never heard of it. Do you remember if the crayons were used to make the candle a different color? I have heard of making wax projects on wax paper before. I have also heard of melting crayons to make new crayons that are multi color. I will probably do that this summer with the old broken crayons that are laying around.

Jessi

All you do is melt down the crayons and pour it into containers. Add a wick that you can buy at pretty much any craft store and you're good to go. The only thing ice would be used for is to quickly cool down the candle after you pour it, but it'll set on its own without you doing that.

beyreNC

Huh. I never would have thought about melting crayons and making candles out of them. What kind of wax are crayons anyhow? Do they burn hot like beeswax or are they more gentle like paraffin? (gee, I hope I have that right).

So, you have candles that not only can you burn, but also write with if you don't have a pen handy! LOL

Jessi

Cool I've tried before, but my candles come out way too soft.
That's okay! They'll still burn just the same. Put them in decorative jars or something that you want to keep the candle in instead of a mold. That way, you can burn it like you would soft gel candle. :)

Hmm...we have melted crayons down for art projects before but I have never thought of making candles out of them. This sounds like it would be a fun activity, I am going to look into that.

Ankh

That's okay! They'll still burn just the same. Put them in decorative jars or something that you want to keep the candle in instead of a mold. That way, you can burn it like you would soft gel candle. :)
Thanks for the advice I'll try this out.
Do you think I get away with using the dollar tree type crayons?

Jessi

Yep, you can. Really, this is a lot better if you already have crayons from art projects or kids or whatever. If you go buy enough crayons intentionally, even dollar store variety, then you might as well buy the candle already made, right?

Yep, you can. Really, this is a lot better if you already have crayons from art projects or kids or whatever. If you go buy enough crayons intentionally, even dollar store variety, then you might as well buy the candle already made, right?
Oh yes, we have tons of crayons that I can go through lol.

Jessi

Lol, I bet you do, twinsmommy!

Also, if any of you are yardsalers, I often see old school boxes being sold that still have a bunch of broken crayons in them for a quarter. If you have any use for the boxes or the other school supplies they're lumped with, it's a really easy way to end up with wax for these candles.