Can you over water an Aloe plant?

SweetPea

I am having serious issues with my aloe plants! They seem to be getting mushy around the base of the stems. Is it possible to over water or maybe I am under watering? This is my first attempt at growing aloe and I am very excited to use it, if it will grow!

Luvkenny

I think you can over water any plant, aloe included. I would stop watering it for a few days and see what happens. When the soil looks dry (when you stick your finger in) then you can water again.

xenon

You certainly can over water aloes. If the soil does not drain well, then you may need to change it. In winter there is no need to water whatsoever.

Jessi

Yep, you can. If the soil is moist, just stop watering it until it's not any more. Aloe plants are pretty resilient, so even if you forget to water it for a while, it would still be fine.

gina121

If the base is mushy, try checking the root to detect any rotting. If it is rotting (will give out a bad smell as well), you may have to re-plant the non-mushy stem again. I hope I'm right, but this is what I'd done. I have messed up with aloe growing in the past, now I've realized that reviving a dying plant when I have under-watered is easier than saving it when I've over-watered. Anyone with more experience out there, please correct me if I'm wrong about the re-planting bit.

Jessi

If it's mushy, it would be from overwatering. Like Gina mentioned, it could be rotting at the base, too, so you may need to replant parts of it. Does it seem to be getting worse or holding steady?

Greenwoman

You can definitely overwater Aloe Vera plants. I was given one a long time ago, and I always gave it as much water as I did my other plants. It ended up root rotting. For aloe plants, the rule of the thumb is to wait for the first inch or so of the soil to be dry before watering it again.

jovan107

You can over water any plant. I think you should check the base as soon as already mentioned and if it does smell, you should replant it. Also, if nothing is wrong with the base of the plant you should just leave it for a day or two then water it.

Sage

Yes, you can over water an aloe plant. I lost one of my pups because I did that. Now, I let the soil dry completely before I water. I also water from the bottom instead of pouring it into the soil at the top.

Aletha

I've killed several aloe plants because I've over watered it. It usually happens when I repot one. I have to buy them when they're growing well for someone else besides me and then I usually can keep them for a bit before I kill it. I usually will take the parts of the aloe that is still good and freeze it for burns.

Greenwoman

Aww, Aletha I'm sure that you are quite capable of keeping your beloved plants alive for longer periods of time. Just show them love in other ways rather than watering, like by pruning.