Can basil be frozen?

StarGazer

I like fresh basil and I am drying some, as well, but I was wondering if the leaves can be frozen and still be used like fresh? I was thinking if they were frozen on cookie sheets, then I could take out leaves one at a time as I need them, but I don't want to if they'll get icky.

freshfoodie

Yes you can freeze basil. I freeze it whole in a Ziploc bag. After it is frozen, I will crush it up a little for use in recipes later.

Lyra

I do not know why I did not think of that! I was just thinking this morning that I better get on the stick figuring out how to use all the basil in my garden. Now I think I will get the children on harvesting some and freezing it. Thanks!

StarGazer

Thank you, freshfoodie. That's good to know. Do the leaves stay usable in say, a tomato/basil salad? Or are they only fit for seasoning recipes after being frozen?

Primrose

Since the leaves are water based, I would say they would be good only in recipes. However, I did dry some in the microwave the other day and was impressed at the way they turned out. Wonder if you could take them straight from the freezer and dry them in the microwave for use in that salad you're talking about. Anyone know?