Can a House Make You Sick?

SoftRain

Ever since we moved to this house, we've been prone to colds. Last winter was really bad, with a cold roughly once a month. We had a few good months but now have had a couple colds within a month again. We live in a warm climate and it's only about 40 minutes from our old house.

I wondered at first if there was an allergy issue, but they always come on like colds. I don't know what could be causing the problem; someone told us maybe it was the house but I don't know how that could be.

StarGazer

Houses can make you sick, but not with a cold. It definitely could be allergies, but it depends on the symptoms. If you are experiencing sneezing, coughing, and congestion without a fever, it's far more likely to be allergies. Allergies won't trigger a fever, unless it turns into something more like bronchitis or pneumonia.

chabella

All Lady
Have you had the house checked out? The last time we moved we spent about two weeks (every day) cleaning to make sure all of the germs left behind were gone and we had no issues until that first winter. A friend of mine just moved into a new place and she is already sick about three weeks into the move.

MissEm

I truly believe a house can make you sick. I lived in a home with mold once and it was terrible. I have asthma and I was so ill all the time!

Greenwoman

It could be something in the house. How long ago did you move into your current home? One option could be that your bodies are simply adjusting to the change of environment, and the change could result in a lower immunity. On the other hand, if you are getting a cold every month, it could just be some change in your diet or health routine that also changed with your moving to your new house. Unless there is structural and insulation issues, I can't think of a way a house alone could cause colds.

Last edited:

Myrrh

I think that a house can make you sick to a certain extent. Have you checked out the house thoroughly? There may be something somewhere that is weakening your immune system.

SoftRain

I believe the inspection included mold and mildew (although I'd have to look at the paperwork). We moved here about a year ago and cleaned the house thoroughly when we moved in. Our colds frequently come with slight fevers, but not always.

As for the environment, we are very close to the ocean now, whereas before we were about 30 minutes inland. I'm not sure if that would make a difference.

Greenwoman

Keep an eye on the fever symptom. If I understand correctly, a fever could be an indication of the body fighting off infection. Maybe that can help as a clue as to what's causing the sickness.