Buying Molds

SoftRain

Where do you buy your soap molds? Do you repurpose things like muffin tins or ice cube trays, or do you prefer to get something a little cuter?

wanderingherb

It depends on what type of soap. Many molds are made specifically for glycerin or melt and pour. I use wood molds as I make soap and then I cut it into bars. So it depends on what you need. If making soap make sure the mold you choose can withstand the process of soap.

misumaru15

I have not heard of wood molds. I have been dying to try making soap. I think it would be fun. I wonder if plastic molds hold up to the rigors of soap making.

BrittneyD

I have made soap with my children. We used candy molds, and the molds that they sell in the soap making aisle at craft stores. My children like to use fun shapes. I had never thought about muffin tins or ice trays. Those might work for a more simple style of soap. What type of tins would you use? I could see the foil ones working.

webworkinggirl

I definitely re-purpose molds - from anything and everything I can think to try! Of course I have a huge mold collection with all sorts of things, lots of various candy and resin molds in my collection now. But I still always keep an eye out for little plastic packaging items on everyday household items that could make a good mold. You'd be surprised at how many places you'll find them! These cheap molds are often times only good for one-use, but it's great to have something new and different. It's also a great way to add new flair to molds you use often by embedding new shapes inside. Some great ones to try are the plastic trays that you'll find holding cookies and candies (often times in boxes or tins of goodies!) Also you can cut the side of a paper milk carton off and modify and comform the sides right into a quicky little loaf mold! Plastic packaging that your food comes in is another great way to find free mold possibilities in a variety of different shapes.

It's a wonderful way to get creative with your soap making adventures, and it feels good to be able to re-purpose some of this stuff that would otherwise just be useless garbage! I still do it and I have BOXES of molds... then again I'm a total mold addict so maybe it's just me, LOL!