Body fat increases over time

lettuce

Has anyone else noticed that when a woman hits a certain age, the recommended percentage of body fat jumps by two percent in order to stay in the healthy range? And it jumps another two percent when women become seniors!

I'm wondering if this amount is actually necessary, or do they just expect that women will naturally gain more body fat with age due to a slowing metabolism?

I have gained and actually am eating less! I had a few surgeries, so I am sure between that and age, my metabolism is not running like I was at 20 years old!
Here are a few things I am trying to incorporate in my lifestyle, I hope your try some and maybe they will help you out as well.
1. Eat slowly. Taste your food. Put down your knife and fork after every two or three bites. Make each meal last 20 to 30 minutes.
2. Postpone that second helping for about 20 minutes. You'll realize you don't need it, and you'll feel less hungry too.
3. If you like your yogurt sweet, buy plain yogurt and add some berries in it, it will be sweet and very healthy for you. You'll get fewer calories than in the sweetened commercial yogurts.
4. Sauteed diced vegetables make a delicious low-calorie topping for pasta, baked potatoes, or rice.
5. Pureed vegetables make excellent low-fat sauces for fish, poultry, pasta, or vegetables.
Good luck, and one more thing I try to do is exercise at least 20 minutes a day on an elliptical or even just taking a nice relaxing walk, and staying away from fast food and soda.

misumaru15

I have noticed this. I think it's related to hormones. I have been trying to lose weight and notice you have to change your methods. Ugg, it seems it is harder for women than men, those lucky gooses.

clewand550

I have noticed that as well. It is pretty sickening. I have gained so much weight since I entered my 50's. I watch what I eat for the most part, but I can't take it off. I'm very careful not to eat anything after dinner and I exercise. I don't exercise like I did when I was in my 40's due to a bad knee that I had a knee replacement done, but I do exercise.

Parker

As I get older, I'm finding it harder and harder to lose weight. It really seems that my body wants to hold onto it.

janayc

Sponge Bob...

Yes it is funny how a person's body changes. Seems like every ten years. By the time a person reaches 50, they look square just like Sponge Bob Square Pants. Not sure if there's a way to change this because it's natural. If someone knows how to keep the hour glass shape, let us know.

hunysukle

It all depends on a woman's diet, stress level, and exercise habits. Although everyone has different metabolisms, there are factors that can cause women to gain weight differently. Women who eat healthy, exercise often, get proper sleep and meditate gain age better than women who eat poorly, rarely exercise and are always stressed out.

I think what really happened is that as we grow older, we need less food but, instead, we tend to eat more food. Especially when our financial situation improves. I have no hard data on this but I kind of think that the waist line tends to grow in tandem with the bank balance.

SoftRain

I don't think it's merely a matter of eating more food; our metabolisms really do slow down. I assume the guidelines are taking that into account as a natural event, instead of trying to hold older women to unrealistic standards.

Trudy

I know my own metabolism has slowed down over time. I have to keep tabs on it because of a thyroid condition, and over the years it's done some funny things. Since I've retired, it's slowed down even more. I'm trying to do more physical exercise now that I'm not on my feet all day.

konstantina

I don't know if they expect us to gain weight, but once it is a fact you can really not get rid of it so easy as when you were young. But the truth is that all older women gain some weight due to hormonal changes

meowcow

This is true and only one of the many ways our bodies change as we grow older. It is up to us to keep up and adapt to our bodies needs as it changes. It is good practice to keep notes of these changes and to find out how best it is to fight aging for you specifically. One thing that is constant, is that you have to exercise, and even more so as you get older.

Yes it is funny how a person's body changes. Seems like every ten years. By the time a person reaches 50, they look square just like Sponge Bob Square Pants. Not sure if there's a way to change this because it's natural. If someone knows how to keep the hour glass shape, let us know.
I actually laughed out loud at this! I am in my mid thirties and know that I am still relatively young - but have noticed my body shape is so dramatically different after I had my two children. I used to be a very thin woman that could wear almost anything and now I can't find clothes that fit me to save my life. Kind of depressing to know that it may get worse!

Pat

Aging does have alot to do with our inability to lose the weight because of harmonal changes in our bodies. Susann Sommers has a book out "Sexy For Ever" where she talks about the changes we see in our bodies and how we can help to get back our sexy bodies. The thought of looking like "Sponge Bob" is not cute although that is what I look like right now. We need to look at the foods we are eating, do we have an allergy to something like diary or wheat, which would keep our bodies from losing weight or should we be adding a supplement to help boost the metablism now that it is slowing down?

One thing I have been saying alot lately "getting old sucks" but I am going to fight it all the way. I want my sexy body back and to do that I must lose weight. I started walking an hour every morning, now I need to get my supplements and elimnate some foods that I may be allergic to food. One thing I know I have a problem with is a sweet tooth.

Good luck ladies of a certain age:)