Biting my lips

SuzyQ

Since my lips dried out a couple of years ago when I was in Alaska, I have used Chapstick every day and you'd think they would have improved but they are still so dry that I can't help biting them and the skin just inside my bottom lip is ragged. Any help would be appreciated.

Garden Ginny

This is going to sound almost rude, but it works better than any product I've used.

If you know someone with really oily skin.... kiss their forehead when it's shiny. It does more good in less time than anything I've tried.

And a lip 'scuff' might help, too.

Patchouli

If you know someone with really oily skin.... kiss their forehead when it's shiny. It does more good in less time than anything I've tried.
... I think I just threw up in my mouth a little :eek:.

As to your question, as weird as this may sound, I've found that chapstick seems to worsen my chapped lips. Try coconut oil.

wanderingherb

LOL. That person is going to be kissed alot!

Ya we tend to have the dry lip syndrome, but as Patchouli points out, chapstick seems to make it worse, indeed.

Using chapstick not a good idea, try to find something natural or not a petroleum based. I know some folks up here use carmex but to me its too hard and too much petroleum base.

Also, it is really easy to get dehydrated up here. You may need to rehydrate yourself. Even if you are not in Alaska now. Doesn't matter. Try to get some water and electrolytes back into your system.

wanderingherb

SuzyQ

Thanks for the advice. I don't know any oily skinned person well enough to kiss their forehead, so that's out. What's a "lip scuff"? I have a "Burt's Bees" honey lip balm that I use as well and it contains coconut oil so I'll ditch the Chapstick and just use that and see whether things improve. (I'm back in the UK now and I do drink plenty of water).

Garden Ginny

A lip-scuff is a scrubbing compound specific to the tender skin of the lips. It helps to remove dead skin and condition the lips.

My mom swears by cocoa butter for her lips in the winter, and the grandkids love that it smells sort of like chocolate. :)

wanderingherb

Thanks for the advice. I don't know any oily skinned person well enough to kiss their forehead, so that's out. What's a "lip scuff"? I have a "Burt's Bees" honey lip balm that I use as well and it contains coconut oil so I'll ditch the Chapstick and just use that and see whether things improve. (I'm back in the UK now and I do drink plenty of water).
Oh Lordy, don't use burts bees honey balm, it's flavored and will make you lick you lips without you even realizing it. This too will make the situation worse. Find something plain not flavored!! or as others have encouraged different oil you can taken with you in a small container.

wanderingherb

CrystalHugger

I have that trouble too and use Aquafina brand lip balm. They come in a pack of 4 or 5 and are light enough for me. I hate to have anything heavy on my lips. Of course I'm a guy and have never used lipstick so I guess I just haven't gotten used to it. I usually use the menthol one at night before I go to bed and it really helps out.