Best ingredient...

What is the best ingredient that will make your soft and hydrated? I am new to soap making and I want something good for my skin. I am really lacking in taking care of it.

shaunche

Coconut is one of the best ingredients to use to make soap. Coconut is a natural moisturizer, the fat in the coconut nourishes and protects the skin. Coconut oil is rich in antioxidants which will combat free-radicals and slow down aging, keeping your skin smooth and firm.

TabithaW

Here is a good article on 6 tips to hydrate skin. http://womenhealthpage.com/beauty-style/hydrate-skin-6-tips-hydrating-skin.html

Soap doesn't really add moisture, because it is a wash off product. Handmade soap feels like it's adding moisture mainly because it is not removing moisture, striping, and drying the skin like commercial soap (eh-hem detergents) are doing. With that being said, I am a sucker for hand made soap with butter in it, shea or any other. It feels silky smooth passing over the skin.

Jessi

I'm a sucker for shea or cocoa butter, too, as well as the coconut oil mentioned above. I use coconut oil for chapstick and whatnot, too, which always makes my lips feel so much softer, so I tend to feel the same way about using it for my skin.

Kellyk

Hi, I would love to start making soap. My only problem with it is lye. I heard that all soaps have this ingredient. Is there a way to make homemade soap without lye? Or, are there any inexpensive ingredients I could try for my first batch of soap. Thanks.

I like using the Shea butter. Then I do not have to be worried about my skin drying out and it is one of the lotions I am not allergic to for a change!

Jessi

Hi, I would love to start making soap. My only problem with it is lye. I heard that all soaps have this ingredient. Is there a way to make homemade soap without lye? Or, are there any inexpensive ingredients I could try for my first batch of soap. Thanks.
Nope, you don't have to use lye! If you google it, you'll find lots of recipes that don't use it at all.