bath crystals

chabella

All Lady
Has anyone here ever made their own bath crystals or bath salts? I am thinking about starting a new project and what better than something I can enjoy when I need to relax and soak a bit.

naturelady

I tried them once, but they didn't end up smelling good. I couldn't figure out what I did wrong. But I read recently that you have to leave them for a few weeks after you put the essential oils in, so that the oils have time to penetrate the salts. I think that's what I did wrong; I used them right away.

gmommy

I wouldn't even begin to know where to start on something like this. Do post how you go about it when you find out. I think homemade bath crystals would be good Christmas gifts.

heytacos

I am guessing when you try to steep them kind of like tea, sometimes the longer time is best. Is it possible to steep them for too long though, would that make them overwhelming or would they just get to a certain strength and then thats it?

We make simple bath salts in school, usually for mother's day. You just need epsom salt, fragrance (skin-safe fragrance oils, essential oils, or we have even just used perfume sometimes) and if you want different colors, a little bit of food coloring.

Pour the epsom salt into a bowl, add a few drops of food coloring - and a few drops is all that is usually needed, depending on how you want the color, and add the fragrance to your desire. Mix well and store in an airtight jar. We used baby food jars, but you can use any jar. They are quick and easy to make.

TabithaW

I make and sell bath salts. I use a blend of pink Himalayan salt, Epson and Dead Sea. I fill the jars with salt, add fragrance or essential oils and give it a shake. It really is just that easy. I buy my salt here: http://www.saltworks.us/wholesale-bulk-bath-salts.asp The shipping prices are included so the prices are pretty good.

If your smells funny, and you are using plastic jars, it could be that the EO has eaten or burned into the plastic. Citrus EOs eat into plastic and make your salts smell like burning plastic.

freshfoodie

Thanks for those 2 super easy bath salt recipes. I think these would make great gifts for Christmas this year. I always like to give at least one homemade gift. They seem relatively affordable too.

chabella

All Lady
All of the store bought ones that I have tried either buying myself or getting as a gift never seem to work. They keep the smell for a little while and then fizzle out. I was thinking if I could make them myself I could give them a boost of sorts.

beckyv1265

I have only done it using epsome salt from the dollar store and adding essential oils. I put them in cute jars and gave them as christmas gifts to my kids.

misumaru15

Maybe you could use a food grade oil. Perhaps an extract would work. These are good for baking and such so they should be safe to put on your skin. I want to start these as an epsom salt bath would be great after my workout.

Luvkenny

Awesome recipes. I can't wait to try these. I love bath salts and I am always buying them. Now I can try to make my own. I hope they turn out because I will give them as Christmas gifts to my co-workers.

Pat

I have tried a soaking with Epsom salt and scented oils. I know I save money making my own but the store purchased one smells better.

Esperahol

Is it more or less irritating to the skin over a prolonged period. I have had poor experiences with the store-bought kind.