Bath Bombs

HerbJane

I tried making bath bombs today and failed miserably, does anyone have a good recipe I could try out, one they have tried and had success with?

Thyme

I have never heard of a bath bomb before. I would love to hear about it. What does it do? What is it good for? Any good recipes?

remidies

Basic Bath Bomb Recipe
Gather your ingredients:
• 1 part citric acid
• 2 parts baking soda
• Witch hazel
• Coloring of your choice
• Fragrance oil of your choice
• Dome Shaped Mold
BLEND BLEND BLEND BLEND the citric acid and baking soda – this step is super important – if you don’t blend well, you end up with a grainy bomb. We actually use a mixer on our larger batches.
Once you’ve blended really well, add your colorant. Dry pigments or a specialty bath fizzy colorant like La Bombes work best – don’t add too much though – the color shows up once you add the witch hazel.
Add fragrance oils to your personal nose preference.
Now, this is the difficult part. Spritz (with a squirt bottle) the witch hazel onto your batch while stirring with the other hand. When your batch sticks together when squished, you need to start putting it in molds – time is of the essence. If you wait too long, the mixture will get hard. If you spritz too much, the mixture will be too wet and “grow” (start the fizzing reaction) on you.
Put the bombs in molds – wait a few minutes and tap them out. Let them air dry for 3 or 4 hours and voila! Wonderful, hard bath bombs. The harder you pack the bath bombs, the more dense, heavy, and durable bomb you will get.

HerbJane

Thanks, I need to try these again, I have bombed, no pun intended, 2 batches so far, it is getting expensive to be wasting. I'll give this a go on Thursday and see how it turns out on me.

Thyme

This sounds really interesting, but please tell me what are the uses for the bomb. I have never heard of it before. Please help a newbie and explain what are the uses for the bath bomb.

Thyme, bath bombs are a little luxury for in the bath - you drop one in while you're in the bath and it fizzes and releases lots of nice oils and relaxing scents. Some shops also include dried herbs, glitter, etc.

I made my first bath bomb 2 weeks ago and followed a recipe that called for dried lavender flowers in the bomb. A word of warning - if you do add dried herbs, be prepared to spend the next few days scraping them off the sides of the bath! :)

HerbJane

Would you mind sharing that recipe? I love lavender and that would be a fantastic add on to the bath bombs. Lavender is so relaxing, it's my favorite scent. I want to make some for Christmas too.

Thyme

Now I am doubly impressed. I never know about this bath bombs. I very seldom take baths. However, now that I have seen this recipe and think of the endless possibilities, I am all for trying it.

Here's the recipe, enjoy! However, I would recommend going easy on the lavender flowers because it was really quite unpleasant to have a bath full of bits after the bath bomb had fizzled out. I just bought some bath bomb moulds and am also going to make Xmas presents - I plan to try a 'pick me up' bath bomb with invigorating rosemary too!

LAVENDER BATH BOMB

5-6 fresh lavender sprigs
1 tbsp citric acid powder
3 tbsp bicarbonate of soda
10 drops lavender essential oil
1 tsp plant-based oil (vegetable or almond oil)
1. Heat the oven to 180C. Once it has reached that temperature, turn it off and place the lavender, hanging upside down, in the oven to dry for about 2 hours. When dry, remove the flowers from the stalks and set aside.
2. For the next stage you need to make sure that the bowl you are using, and your hands, are completely dry - otherwise the bomb will start fizzing. In a glass bowl, mix the citric acid and bicarbonate of soda together. Add a few drops of lavender oil and 1 tsp dried lavender flowers, along with the vegetable or almond oil. Mix everything together with a metal spoon.
3. Place the biscuit cutter on top of a sheet of baking paper. Put the mixture into the biscuit cutter and press down with the back of the spoon. The oil now needs to evaporate so the bomb can set as a dry, hard block - leave for a minimum of 30 minutes and preferably overnight.

STORAGE: Store in tin foil to keep out moisture.
VARIATION: If you are making this with kids you can add 1/2 tsp of edible glitter into the mix to create an even more dramatic effect.

smellsrfun

Awesome, 2 new recipes to try out. I love bath bombs and so does my daughter. They explode in the tub when they are dropped in. Bath salts do not do that so we like the bombs better.

HerbJane

I have had an issue with moisture, it sucked, all of them fizzed. I tried these again tonight and I hope they turned out. I have made them successfully before, I am not sure what I am doing wrong this time.

angbaby4974

Jane, I never use any water or witch hazel in mine. Just EO's, FO's & sweet almond oil. A little cocoa butter is nice too, for dry winter skin. My bombs never "wart" because there is no H2O to activate the fizz.