Basil Help

SoftRain

Now that it's summer and the sun is blazing hot, my basil is suffering. I currently have it on the patio on the east side of the house, so it gets full sun all morning. I figure this is better than afternoon and still gets the basil the sun it needs, but I guess it's too much. If I put it on the north side though, won't that be too much shade?

Lyra

I am surprised that is too much sunshine. I thought basil needed lots of sun. What is it doing? Perhaps it needs more water? Is it just not thriving? Maybe it actually needs more sun? Is that at all possible?

SoftRain

It always looks dehydrated, with the edges curling up. Perhaps I'm not watering it enough (I get inconsistent sometimes) but I'm not sure that's the whole story. Yesterday, for example, I watered it after seeing how bad it looked and it was a shorter time than usual before I could see water draining from the bottom of the pot.

Greenwoman

Was your basil plant ever an inside plant, or did you purchase it from the store? I have had issues with some of my other plants like rosemary dying after sitting it out in the sun.

Also, if it took less time than usual for the water to drain, it could either indicate that it has too much water to begin with, or for some reason there is more air in the soil.

Lyra

I was thinking that if the water was passing through too quickly, that might indicate that the soil was very dry. In that case you have to keep coming back and adding more water until the soil loosens up and appears uniformly moist.

SoftRain

I thought if water was passing through quickly, it meant that there was already a great deal of water in the soil. Usually if the basil is looking dry and I water it, it takes quite awhile before water runs out the bottom (we have a low-flow hose).

The basil was never inside. I purchased it from a nursery.

Greenwoman

Well, since it was purchased from a nursery, have you thought about calling to get advice as to how to help it? Basil isn't a fragile plant by any stretch of the imagination, so it could be something peculiar that is the problem.

SoftRain

I think I will call, since they are familiar with growing herbs in Florida. Even though basil loves sun, perhaps it has to be moved in the summer. Thanks!