Bacterial Vaginitis?

ThymeforRodney

My wife thought she had a vaginal yeast infection and took the three days worth of Diflucan to get rid of it. It did help but not every symptom is gone. She still is itching and burning. She says she feels "raw" like a baby who has diaper rash. I think she had a yeast infection and a bacterial vaginitis both. What would be a good treatment for bacterial vaginitis?

wanderingherb

Oh gosh, sometimes this type of irritation is not always vaginal in nature. UTI can also cause the same symptoms.

Maybe check back with the doctor to make sure all is well. If so, then work from there.

Wear cotton underwear. Hemp will work also.

Keep area very dry. In fact after shower use a blow dryer (low heat) to really make sure area has been dried before putting on clothes.

If it is bacterial vaginosis, Sometimes it is treated with, unfortunately, metronazidole (flagyl) which, will also cause yeast infections. If this is the case, take some Culturelle or other probiotic (strong and live ones yogurt won't do the trick) one hour before the dose, or two hours after the dose.

I will check further into this, unless someone pipes up. BUT, just to be sure all is well, maybe a check up with a doctor would be good?
wanderingherb

ThymeforRodney

Thanks Wanderingherb. It's time for her annual trip to the Gyn doctor anyway. I'll insist she make an appointment to be sure everything is fine. She is late for her pap smear and mammogram too so it's more than time for her to go.