Argh, hat too big

freshfoodie

I am making a slouchy hat as a Christmas gift and when I went to stitch the hat together it is just too big. I followed the pattern to a tee but it isn't quite right. So now, I am restarting the entire project. I am so irritated because I don't have the time to do this.

Luvkenny

Oh no! Can you just make it smaller somehow? Stinks that you have to start again. Try to be calm though, it will go easier if you are enjoying it. I have had to rip quilts apart because of mistakes.

Lyra

I tried my hand at knitting a hat several years ago when I was pregnant. I did not turn out to be a baby hat. I still wear it every winter.

freshfoodie

Luvkenny, there is no way to just make it smaller. It's okay, I found a different pattern that seems a little easier and has less finishing work involved. So far so good. I am almost halfway done. I am hoping to finish by the weekend because I also have to whip up a pair of slippers before Christmas.

Claudette

It irks me so much when I have to pull out what I've done and start over. I'm so sorry, freshfoodie. This time of year, it takes all your time and patience to do projects like this. Good luck on finishing!

Aletha

Is the hat made with pure wool? If it is, you could felt it in the washer and dryer. It makes it much, much smaller and thicker. Don't be surprised though if it shrinks up too small. :D If it's made of acrylic yarn, you can seam it up like you do when a pair of pants or a skirt is too large.

freshfoodie

No, it wasn't made with wool so no shrinking it. I wish it were that easy. There was just way too much hat to seam it up either (believe me, I tried :p) I am trying to have some patience with the redo and it seems to be going well, even if it is taking time I didn't have. I will be happier with the finished product anyway.