Albizia tincture

hppyfngy

I wonder if any of you have tinctured this? My Mimosas are in bloom and I am going to. Just curious about how to do the bark and leaves.

Anyone?

Greenwoman

When you say Mimosa, are you referring to the Silk tree with the pink flowers? There are a couple of ways to make a tincture out of it. For dried herbs, you want to have about four parts alcohol and one part herb, and with fresh herbs you need to have a two parts alcohol and one part fresh herb ratio because there is more water in fresh herb than dried herb.

If you are working with dried herb and bark, I see no reason why you can't break it down with a mortal and pestle before adding it to your alcohol.

By the way, a tincture can be made with 40 proof vodka, glycerin, or apple cider vinegar.

I hope that you found this useful!

hppyfngy

When you say Mimosa, are you referring to the Silk tree with the pink flowers? There are a couple of ways to make a tincture out of it. For dried herbs, you want to have about four parts alcohol and one part herb, and with fresh herbs you need to have a two parts alcohol and one part fresh herb ratio because there is more water in fresh herb than dried herb.

If you are working with dried herb and bark, I see no reason why you can't break it down with a mortal and pestle before adding it to your alcohol.

By the way, a tincture can be made with 40 proof vodka, glycerin, or apple cider vinegar.

I hope that you found this useful!

Thank you. I've been making tinctures for some time but never from this, yes the Silk tree. I have done the flowers before but I know the bark is also tinctured. I have also heard that the leaves can be tinctured.

I guess I will just experiment with the bark and leaves. Apparently they have different energy than the flowers alone.

:)

Greenwoman

I've read a lot of sources about how the parts of the tree are used in Chinese herbal medicine. May I ask how you are using it? I've always been really curious.

hppyfngy

Of course!
I use it personally in conjunction with other herbs as a calming, settling tincture. It's very nice and clears the mind and has a lifting effect.
There's no wonder it's called the "happiness herb."
It's recommended for sadness or loss and I also find in some people it's good for insomnia.
What I've used in the past has been a prepared tincture that combines bark and flower, but I understand that each has somewhat different energy. The flower being lighter and fast acting; more "heady." The bark being calmer and longer lasting and perhaps more powerful.
This is why I want to tincture them separately and compare.