Acetaminophen and Asthma

Gracie

My doctor told me to stop taking Acetaminophen for ordinary aches and pains. I’ve been taking it for years (figured it was the least harmful pain med). He said that studies are now linking it with Asthma. I have been having a hard time breathing lately and we figured it was exercise induced asthma. He wants me to stop taking Acetaminophen for a bit to see if it gets better.

wanderingherb

That makes sense.

The FDA came out with a warning for parents not to give their children over the counter medicine when they are sick due to the rising risks. I am going to be taking a webinar to learn what herbs children can use for this.

fit2be

Wow, not something I knew or would think to be true. How scary! Why are there so many problems with meds? Meds are supposed to make you feel better, not cause worse problems for you!

smellsrfun

It makes sense to me too. A lot of medicine causes asthma. My doctor took me off Advil Cold because he said it was causing Asthma in me. I don't know why though!

ThymeforRodney

Aspirin can do the same thing. I know a young man who is in the hospital right now that had an asthma attack after he took aspirin. He was in ICU for a bit but is getting better.

rayne

This is a good thing to know. Due to an accident several years ago, I take Acetaminophen on a regular basis and notice from time to time that I can't catch my breath. I guess this is the reason. Time to look for an alternative.

naturelady

I never heard that. Thanks for posting. I occasionally take Tylenol, but now I will be aware of this connection.

Remember when Tylenol used to be considered so safe? And now we know there is a lifetime limit, it can cause liver toxicity, and there is a link to asthma.