AC making us fat?

lettuce

I found this to be an interesting (although probably inaccurate) article. It claims that running the AC could be a factor in making us fat since it takes away the need for the body to cool itself down naturally (and thus, burn calories). I think it might have a very, very small impact on issues of weight, but when it comes down to it, eating too much and being inactive are the real culprits.

Esperahol

Why would sweating help burn calories? The body opens blood vessels and sweats and generally tries to avoid direct sunlight/heat. That isn't alot of calorie-burning getting done. Honestly people are just being kind of stupid now about this whole "overweight" thing.

dissn_it

I think the AC would be a very small factor in weight gain due to cooling the body. It may be a bigger factor in that it keeps people indoors and less active. If you don't have AC, you are more likely to spend the day at the beach when it is hot outside. You will walk, swim and burn more calories doing that than sitting at home with the AC on.

This is an interesting read. I'm not too certain that it is the AC that is making us fat. However, it comes down to whether or not we are actually exercising during the day. It isn't good to sit around and watch television all day in an air conditioned house without getting any kind of physical activity.

shaunche

This article is laughable. Air conditioning is making us fat? I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

Carbohydrates and sugar and what is making us fat AND sick. I just posted a thread containing a video on this topic. Have a look and tell me what you think.