A Home for the Slugs

rayne

I have oregano and sage planted in my front flower bed. It has been a rather moist summer here and these herbs have provided a wonderful home for the slugs underneath the low lying leaves. Those rascals have eaten almost all of my pepper plants and have now started on my basil. Any suggestions?

freshfoodie

I would love some suggestions for them as well because they keep burrowing into my low hanging tomatoes! I have heard that using crushed eggshells will keep soft bodied bugs at bay but I am not sure that it works.

Basil Nut

My aunt used to put crushed eggshells into her flowers, but I don't know why. I thought it was for something in the shells, like calcium, but I'm probably wrong. Maybe it was for the slugs.

dissn_it

We have always used the old trick of using a pie pan with beer in the bottom of it. You can also use plastic margarine tubs to make them. The slugs are attracted to the beer, fall in and can't get back out. Here's a step by step link on how to make them.
http://www.ehow.com/how_8156823_make-slug-beer-trap.html
You can also try trimming back the lower leaves so it is no longer a slug friendly environment.