Making Laundry Powder

Aletha

I'm getting ready to make laundry detergent powder. I found a recipe that my friend had and she says it is dead easy to do. I bought all of the stuff last week so I'm going to try to do it today, that is if I don't get side tracked like I did the last time. Has anyone tried this?

Lyra

I've made the liquid. I put it off for a while, thinking it might be a little labor-intensive. But your friend is right; it was dead easy. Took me less than half an hour. And so cheap. So very, very cheap. And it makes a lot, too. So you don't have to do it very often.

I've always wanted to do this but have never tried it before. I would love to have the recipe of both the powder and liquid if you both don't mind posting it?

Aletha

Well, I made it last night but it hasn't been 24 hours yet. It did make a sort of watery gel which is what the recipe says. The hardest thing I did was to wait until the solution thickened on the stove. But once it did, you could certainly tell it was done. I am waiting until 10 tonight to see what happens since that will be the 24 hours. It did go from a yellowish type of liquid to a white today. I have kept my laundry detergent bottles to put this in tomorrow. As far as the Fels Naptha soap, you can buy it online or use Kirk's castile soap but I honestly don't think it makes a difference what soap you use. I am going to try it out tomorrow and see what happens. I'm excited!

Hedda

I would love to see recipes for making laundry soap inexpensively and quickly. This is something I had never considered before, but it sounds like a good way to go.

Claudette

The price of laundry detergent has gone up so much in the past few years. I'm not happy with the cheap brands. Is the home made better than those cheap brands? I'm rather attached to my name brands. I can tell the difference.

Trudy

This would be a great project for the new year. I'm interested in learning how things we take for granted are made. I see it as a science project for the kids, too. Most people never think to wonder how soap works. I envision soap stones and women at the river's edge long ago pounding their clothes on the rocks.

Greenwoman

That sounds like an awesome idea! Here where I live, we are constantly going through a lot of soap and detergent for cleaning, partially because a majority of the household seems to be afraid of germs. I will definitely be using this detergent recipe!