Safe Herbs To Use With Rats

writer811

Are there any herbs that you can use safely with a pet rat? It can be for any reason, to promote health, to calm them down or to get rid of parasites. Any reason at all. I wouldn't want to just start using them because rats have extremely sensitive immune systems and a lot of plants that aren't poisonous to other animals are dangerous to them. So... any thoughts?

AppleMay

Ahhh, you have a pet rat? Ekkkk! I know that some do have these for pets but I have never been ever to figure out why? Guess you just have to like rats which I have never had a fondness for.

shaunche

I think moderating the herb intake is important because their bodies have difficulty processing the herbs. Basil, thyme and mint are good in moderation. Most non-toxic garden herbs are safe, so long as they are fed in moderation.

writer811

Ahhh, you have a pet rat? Ekkkk! I know that some do have these for pets but I have never been ever to figure out why? Guess you just have to like rats which I have never had a fondness for.
I like them because I never the irrational prejudice most people have for them. They are less aggressive than all other rodents, including gerbils, hamsters and mice. They also are the cleanest of them, disposing of their own waste/using a litter box and they don't smell. And they never bite unless they are sick or have been abused to that point.
Also, thanks, Shaunche! Do you know those for a fact or are you just guessing? I don't mean to question you but I'd prefer herbs actually used with other rats before.

xenon

Are there any herbs that you can use safely with a pet rat? It can be for any reason, to promote health, to calm them down or to get rid of parasites. Any reason at all. I wouldn't want to just start using them because rats have extremely sensitive immune systems and a lot of plants that aren't poisonous to other animals are dangerous to them. So... any thoughts?
As mentioned basil thyme and mint in moderation though basil in smaller quantities as it can cause bladder or kidney stones because of the high calcium content. You must avoid pennyroyal mint as it's toxic. You can also give red clover, sage and lemon-balm, the avatar I use.:)
To relax them lavender and calendula flowers.

writer811

As mentioned basil thyme and mint in moderation though basil in smaller quantities as it can cause bladder or kidney stones because of the high calcium content. You must avoid pennyroyal mint as it's toxic. You can also give red clover, sage and lemon-balm, the avatar I use.:)
To relax them lavender and calendula flowers.
Thank you! Do you have a pet rat of your own? Also, you said "in moderation". What kind of figures are we talking about? How much is too much?

xenon

Thank you! Do you have a pet rat of your own? Also, you said "in moderation". What kind of figures are we talking about? How much is too much?
No not me. A dog is my best mate. My daughter went through a phase about 12 years ago with a friend. Because we grow lots of herbs and vegetables we could try things out. A lot of info came from books which we bought I guess these days from the internet. Rats probably are like most of us. Enjoy all types of foods that are bulky with a bit of side salad. From what I remember dry lite dog food was its main fill and these other bits were just given.
You asked about what quantities. They were available from time to time as a small amount from what I can recall.
I did a google and found this interesting page you may get some info. http://www.camarattery.com/herbsnaturalmedicine.htm

writer811

Alright, thank you but I'm still nervous about using anything that's not specifically tailor-made for rats. You said they're probably like us but that's not true. They're not even like dogs or other pets. Foods that you can give a dog won't fly with rats. They have extremely delicate systems and they die very easily. Plants (And maybe herbs) that are safe for humans or dogs may not be for rats and there are quite a few that actually would kill a rat that are harmless to humans and dogs.

xenon

Here are a couple of links that may help you. You sound very dedicated, what all pet owners should me. :) I suggest you buy the book as seen in the video link provided and ask for advise on the forum link below. Having a good reference book at hand is always important for any emergencies with animal health.

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-choose-rat-food

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Scuttling-Gourmet-Wholesome-Nutrition/dp/0956623204

http://z7.invisionfree.com/Scottish_Rat_Club/index.php?act=idx