Your thoughts on global warming?

TheCause

Some people find it hard to believe. I do know, that since the sun is massive enough to have a planet orbit it, it actually does pull the Earth closer to it over time. Now this "time" could be billions of years, but in fact we are getting closer to it. All it takes (I dont remember the exact number) is like a 3 degrees global increase in temperature, and it will wipe out 90% of the land.

I have talked to a few people (Including people on this forum from Florida and New York) that said they had no Winter hardly at all last year. In Kentucky it normally gets down 5-15 degrees for over a month. It did for 2 days last Winter, but that is it! We normally have at least 1 snow that brings over 1 foot of snow, we just got frost last year. I thought this was kind of odd.

What are your thoughts about all of this? I'm not trying to start a massive Al Gore style debate, I'm just interested in your thoughts.

moondrop

I live in southeast Nebraska and we had barely any winter weather. I think it snowed maybe twice. It was warm enough that geese were flying back north in January.

The weather in this part of the country is notoriously unpredictable. If it is warm again next year, I'm going to start worrying.

artistry

The climate is indeed changing. It was definitely on display this past winter here in New Jersey, where there was virtually light or no winter at all. There was a high temperature in March of 85 degrees, totally strange. We had little snow. I certainly enjoyed the winter, because I hate cold. But with such a winter, I am very afraid that the summer is going to be an oven and that is very scary.

chabella

All Lady
Who is to say this is the first time the climate has changed in history, what about all those times when no one bothered to keep records? I have a feeling it will always be changing and there is very little (at least at this time) that we can do to stop it.

TheCause

I live in southeast Nebraska and we had barely any winter weather. I think it snowed maybe twice. It was warm enough that geese were flying back north in January.

The weather in this part of the country is notoriously unpredictable. If it is warm again next year, I'm going to start worrying.
I hear ya, if it is this warm again next year there is a problem.

Who is to say this is the first time the climate has changed in history, what about all those times when no one bothered to keep records? I have a feeling it will always be changing and there is very little (at least at this time) that we can do to stop it.

We might not can change the weather, but we can certainly adapt to it.
I recommend going to Wal Mart and stocking up on floaties.

artistry

The winter, not too, too worried about, you can put on enough clothes on get enough blankets to stay warm.
But heat is another story, you have to be able to sweat, your body can shiut down and you die from heat stroke. It could be real serious. When someone said we had a window of 10 years to make some kind of change in our behavior, it was more than likely 20 years too late at that point.

artistry

At this point I think it is a waste of breath to try to determine what is causing it. People are always going to debate from their point of view. They wanted and did call Gore looney, wellllll, what's their solution to looney now? What we better do is get ourselves set to deal with it. Especially the older people.

TheCause

At this point I think it is a waste of breath to try to determine what is causing it. People are always going to debate from their point of view. They wanted and did call Gore looney, wellllll, what's their solution to looney now? What we better do is get ourselves set to deal with it. Especially the older people.
Agreed. I did hear a long time ago that they are working on floating islands.
As mentioned, its something like a 3 deg. temperature increase will drown most of us. I saw the concept for these islands. As much as the water rises they just keep floating on top of them. This has been years and I'm not sure how the progress of it is coming along.

artistry

Just read your comment about the floating islands. That is very interesting. Hope that there is progress and that they will be plentiful. Cheers.

lettuce

How do some people find this hard to believe?? We live on a planet with limited resources; we're constantly polluting it with all of our technological "advancements"; we're getting to the point where we have so many people that it's going to pop... It's not rocket science, folks. What YOU do does affect the environment.

I just think that we all should do our part even though they are little to help save our planet. We can stop using straws when we order drinks in food chains and definitely stop using plastic bags for our groceries. I still see those around and it's sad because it does harm our environment.

Esperahol

It's not the first time, but it is the first time one particular species has made such an impression. Excessive heating has happened in the past, but it never happened quite this fast.