Writer's Block and Creativity

skyheart

What do you use get out of writer's block? Or to do more creative things? I find that when I clean the house, fold the clothes, or something like that...it tends to help. Meditating used to help me "clear my head", but I haven't had any luck with that lately...any suggestions?

glider

I usually go for a entertaining movie whenever I am confronted with writer's block. Sometimes, I go for a picnic alongwith my family and friends. The very next day, I feel refreshed and my writer's block is gone.

Dreyfush

When I got writer's block, I would usually leave the project, read a book, articles, blog posts, anything or watch a movie. Otherwise I just leave the computer, eat or drink something.

sammie

I just need quiet time and that could be time doing anything really as long as its quiet. I tend to get into a zone and just break out and get things done that need to be done and then have extra energy to spare when I need to take care of things that require my creative side.

Saffron

Usually when I run out of things to write about, and I find myself staring at an empty page and that empty page is staring back at me...I just stop trying, put my pen down and then just relax, get a really good nights sleep.

And that usually does it.

Maternal

Sometimes the first thing I do after waking up is turning on the computer and do my job. In that case, when I get writer's block, I would just stop working and taking a good bath.

blueaura

I agree with the posts above. I think when your mind is pre-occupied with things, you don't focus on being "blocked". Then after a while, it unblocks. At least, for me it does! :)

wonderfuls

Clear your mind that's the only thing that is really blocked right?

When is the last time you worried less and just wrote more? I know a friend of mine i like that, anything that stresses her out she is lucky if she can even write her name proper.

skyheart

Hi everyone, thank you for the suggestions! A friend suggested free writing to me. I've done it before but didn't think of it as a "writer's block" remedy. Basically, you set a timer or you write with a goal in mind (two or three pages). Then, you write anything and everything that's on your mind until the time's up or you meet your goal. I like to think of it as chipping away the block!

wonderfuls: I get spurts like that sometimes. Some days I will write pages and pages of things, other days, I struggle with writing one sentence.