Why some insurance covers chiropractic care and not acupuncture

LillyZ

Why do some insurances cover chiropractic care and not acupuncture? I read in a scientific journal that scientists have discovered how and why acupuncture works. If it has been proven scientifically as a valid type of treatment why do insurance companies not cover it?

I think insurances companies don't cover acupuncture procedures because it's considered an "alternative medicine" procedure.

Jessi

Yep, that's exactly it. It is still considered to be "alternative" whereas we often see chiropractic work as being part of the mainstream. With further study, maybe we'll see acupuncture become more acceptable and then covered by insurance.

SifuPhil

Judith is right, and it's a shame because it's one "alternative" method that has proven to be effective. The label of "alternative" is usually a death knell for insurers, who tend to be quite traditional in their insuring activities.

I see acupuncture going the way of chiropractic, however - eventually it will be fully covered. It seems more and more insurers are starting to budge.

dissn_it

It is a matter of time and the insurance companies will cover accupunture treatment. I think the insurance companies will have a lot more dragging their feet around before they actually do it though. They have to reclassify to a "treatment" instead of an "alternative medicine" first and that has not happened yet.

SifuPhil

They also might be considering that technically acupuncture is an invasive modality while chiropractic is not.

Silly, I know, but sometimes that's how regulating bodies think.

Waynefire

It really depends on the insurance company and if they have contracts in place. I know many acupuncture doctors are not doctors. So they may not cover them for this reason.

Parker

Traditional medicine is slow to recognize alternative medicine. The AMA (American Medical Association) does a lot of work behind the scenes to keep alternative practitioners marginalized. There are a few companies that cover alternative treatments but it's only as a special rider on the policy. In some part of the US, it's becoming more and more acceptable. California is an example.

freshfoodie

If something is labeled as alternative or experimental you can bet your bottom dollar that no insurance company will pay for it. A lot of insurers don't even cover chiropractic anymore.

SifuPhil

If something is labeled as alternative or experimental you can bet your bottom dollar that no insurance company will pay for it. A lot of insurers don't even cover chiropractic anymore.
True, and where does that "alternative" label originate? From the very people that are refusing to cover it.

Talk about Catch-22s ...

Laurasav

I've never had acupuncture treatments, but I've heard one of my aunts swear by them. The acupuncture treatments have helped her a great deal. I see a chiropractor pretty regularly. I've been in some car accidents since I was a child and I have a lot of pain troubles. I wish my insurance covered chiropractic treatments! All insurance should cover the health care we need, whatever form, since their premiums are outrageous!

lettuce

Actually, both chiropractic care and acupuncture have some "woo-woo" to them. That is to say, any benefit received is largely from placebo. I suppose chiropractic medicine is more established as being something the public actually believes in and seeks out for treatment, whereas acupuncture still suffers from the stereotype of being some sort of medieval method.