Why do you take vitamins?

StingingNettle

I used to be wary of taking vitamins, thinking we should be able to get everything we need from our food.

But I learned not long ago that our soil is very depleted and our vegetables aren't as nutritious as they used to be. That made me willing to try adding vitamins to my diet.

I'm glad I did, because this practice has made a big difference in my health.

What compels you to take vitamins?

enthusiast

I take vitamins and herbal supplements because of the soil depletion that you mentioned and because I don't always eat right. I recently switched from natural vitamins to whole foods vitamins at the recommendation of a nutritionist. He said natural vitamins are actually synthetic and vitamins need to be derived from real foods. It makes sense to me.

CrunchyMama

On the other hand, you can enrich your own soil (for a garden) by adding compost - especially that you make yourself from vegetation scraps. If you then grow food there, you will have nutrient-rich foods that are not available in the stores.

NLMomma

I take vitamins because I know my diet is lacking. I wish I could say I eat a 100% complete diet. I know better though. I feel better knowing I make up for some of what I'm missing, by taking a vitamin.

Walter

I used to be wary of taking vitamins, thinking we should be able to get everything we need from our food.

But I learned not long ago that our soil is very depleted and our vegetables aren't as nutritious as they used to be. That made me willing to try adding vitamins to my diet.

I'm glad I did, because this practice has made a big difference in my health.

What compels you to take vitamins?
I don't takes vitamins, not yet. I still believe that getting the vitamins from natural sources is the way to go. But you are right that today's vegetables are not so nutritious as they used to be. Though, I think going for organic vegetable is a good solution for the problem.

StingingNettle

But growing organic doesn't make up for nutrients missing from the soil, right?

I agree with you that it is always best to get your nutrition from foods. That is always the most efficient.