Why Detox?

Bob67

Until recently, I've never heard about detoxifying or cleansing the body. How do we know that we need to do this? I can perhaps see the need for this if we do not eat healthy but, if we do, doesn't healthy meals keep us "detoxed?"

wanderingherb

Well, I definitely hold a different opinion than many others on the "detox" idea.

If you study anatomy and physiology you'll find our bodies are incredibly fine tuned functioning at keeping our body clean.

Sometimes a simple diet change can help.

IMHO, and this is just me, I know many others would gasp at what I am saying, but we all have differing opinions. I don't completely cater to the belief that our bodies need consistent detoxing unless we are doing something to them we shouldn't. If we are, that should be addressed. For example, medications that can cause liver damage. Then I would focus on something that supports the liver to assist in keeping it healthy while under stress. But cleansing, no. Lymph nodes on the other hand, I do believe should be massaged or sometimes supported depending on the situation. Cleansed? No, I don't see it as cleansing.

I am especially against any type of "colon" cleanser. Physiologically, it is impossible for a thick lining of uck to build up in our colon. Unless we have other issues, which those issues should be addressed and not with colon cleansing.

However, if you cater to "cleansing" and this is something I do, you can change your diet, or do a couple days fasting, and other very simple things to just give your body a chance to "cleanse" itself.

Being that as it may, check into burdock, dandelion and a few others. Also, check into Essiac blend. You might find it beneficial.

Wanderingherb

enthusiast

Well, I definitely hold a different opinion than many others on the "detox" idea.
What you said makes a lot of sense. If we eat a truly healthy diet, I can understand how our bodies would not need detox. The body would take care of keeping itself clean.

Hedda

If you have been eating wholesome foods all along, you wouldn't need detoxing. If you haven't, there's a good chance your liver has been overworked and would benefit.

Mellie

I have always been afraid of most detox systems. I have certain foods that I will eat when I feel that my body is out of whack and needs some sort of boost in cleaning itself out. I don't really fast, but I will just eat all vegetables or fruits to help my body get back on track. I don't know if it works perfectly, but it makes me feel better.

shyness

I have heard that detoxing is good for the body, and depending what type of detoxing we are doing. I hear that our intestines can hold anywhere from 5-20 lbs of waste...ugh!!!

wanderingherb

I hear that our intestines can hold anywhere from 5-20 lbs of waste...ugh!!!
Okay, think about this one. Exactly how does our body intestinal track "hold" that much waste, when it is designed to contract/relax bascially "push" and rid our body of waste?

wanderingherb