Whole foods

CrunchyMama

I know that whole foods are best. What I don't know is how to make that work for my family. Whole foods tend to be more expensive, and more work (in preparation). Does anyone feed their family primarily whole foods, and if so, may I have a peek at a standard menu for you?

Hedda

Emphasizing whole foods can be a bit of a challenge. One thing that might help is to focus on small changes first and look for whole food ingredients that you can substitute.

Pat

Beans can be considered a whole food and very easy to add to the diet. Chili, salads, soups are a few of the dishes that can contain beans.

dissn_it

I agree with Hedda, making the changes gradually and substituting what you can and where you can, is a good way to begin. I also starting making more meals from scratch and having at least one meatless meal a week. I plan menus using similar ingredients so I can buy in bulk. This helps me save a lot of money. I do spend a lot of time in the produce department!

freshfoodie

Shop the outside edges of the grocery store. This usually includes your produce, dairy and meats. Also try finding a local farmers market because often they are cheaper than the grocery store and you are helping people in your own community with the money you're spending. I make all my meals from scratch because it's cheaper than buying those prepackaged boxes of chemicals at the store.