Weights Better than Cardio?

SoftRain

I joined a new gym and was talking to one of the personal trainers. She told me that it's actually better to concentrate on weight training and not worry so much about cardio since you burn a lot of calories after the workout and build muscles (which require more calories) too. She said she dropped a few sizes just by lifting weights three times a week.

Cardio is better for fat loss and weight lifting helps for maintenance type bc lean muscle mass Burns more calories than fat...plus you will have more energy since your muscles are using the fuel instead of storing it!

Sent from my LG-VS700 using Tapatalk

SoftRain

I thought so too, but she said that cardio being necessary to lose fat was a myth and if I just lifted weights I would still lose the fat as I built up muscle.

Idk I think she has a vested interest in making you go the long way weight loss wise...but really every body is different. Some may build muscle bulk wise and then lose fat while others may build lean muscle mass and lose weight immediately. Why not do both and alternate? Good luck and congrats on taking the first steps!

Sent from my LG-VS700 using Tapatalk

chabella

All Lady
I think she might have a myth or two mixed up, yes cardio can help you lose weight. I can vouch for this first hand after the past two years (more like 1.75) losing 50lbs. I did not start lifting again (for over a decade) until this very week.