Vitamin D

spock

What is the best source of vitamin D? Are there any herbs which contain vitamin D? Do you think natural herbs are preferable to medicines? Please share your thoughts. Thanks.

Elkheart

I couldn't get enough from foods so I went with a supplement. I'm supposed to take 5000 IU per day for my joint and bone health. I am always low on vitamin D because I don't get out in the sun a lot. And even when I do, I use a lot of sunscreen.:D

Walter

Interesting. Does using sunscreen keep you from absorbing vitamin D from the sunlight? I never thought about that. I don't even think that I need additional intake of the vitamin or not. What would happen if you lacked vitamin D?

thecure

The best food source of vitamin D that I can think of has to be fish. Some have more than others, but in general they are very high in vitamin D.

Walter, yes, sun screen does block it. That is the reason why you might want to contemplate buying a sun screen with a lower UV protection level.

Glinda

I was a report recently that vitamin D is now being linked to breast health. I don't take a vitamin D supplement, but after reading that I just might look into it.