Vitamin D and Depression

Georgia

My regular quarterly meeting with my doctor just took place and she recommended that I up my Vitamin D component every day. Up to 2000 mg. I have been on depression aids for years, but amazingly the Vitamin D did make me feel a bit better. I suffer from SAD, so anything that can keep me going is very welcome news.

Walter

Thanks Georgia for sharing. I didn't know that vitamin B helps to relieve depression. I only knew that it's good for our bone. It's also believed to reduce the risk of multiple sclerosis.

natural1

I was just thinking yesterday of asking my doctor for an additional antidepressant. he had me on Wellbutrin and I didn`t like the side effects. I would much rather use more vitamin D. Thank you so much for this post. I do take Womens One A day but it only has 1000IU. I`m not sure what that means in MG. I`m going to try this.

mark5049

And remember, a good source of vitamin D is sunlight. Sunlight also seems to help those with depression. Personally, I cannot get enough sunlight. Seems like the sunnier it is, the happier I am.

wanderingherb

Find a supplement with 2000 mg. I take this along with my calcium. The multivitamins I have contain only 800 IU. IU stands for International Units. So the IU of one vitamin/mineral may not be the same as another. Vitamin a 1000 IU is not the necessarily the same weight as 1000 IU of calcium.

When dealing with this, your pharmacist is your best source of information. Tell them you need to have 2000 mg but you can only find IU. What do you need to do?

Its something like 1000 IU equals app .025 micrograms (mg). Mind boggling isn't it! This all depends on the substance also. So its best to visit with a pharmacist. Or find a supplement that has the conversion on it.

Wanderingherb

curer

It's true that sunlight is the natural source of Vitamin D. Apart from sunlight, you can also take multivitamin tablets rich in Vitamin D which are readily in the market. A combination of Vitamin D and sunlight should provide adequate quantity of Vitamin D.

wanderingherb

Thats great when you live in the sunshine! We have approximately 5 hours of daylight. The daylight is cloudy. Unless you want to stand nude in the rain for those five hours, its not highly beneficial. ;) And the neighbors really start to complain. Wouldn't know why!

Vitamin D also has other important values. If a doctor recommends it, then there is something to it.
We do have problems where I live of getting sunshine any time of year. The downfalls of living in a rainforest! Wouldn't trade it in for anything!

ANd actually my mistake. I believe you may be looking for 2000 IU. Not mg. Check to be sure. I'm sure its IU (International Unit) I'm sorry for the mix-up. Plus, there are different types. If you are not responding to one version, you can try different versions. Gosh, as soon as I have time I'll find something and post it. Its complicated. I already made one mistake with units, I don't want to make another due to my rush to get things done.

Wanderingherb

Magnetic Soul

Be careful not to get too much vitamin D. I heard recently on MPR that people who consume more than 4,000 IU per day are at greater risk for pancreatic cancer. Though everyone here seems to be talking about 2,000 IU which is not even close to 4,000 IU but I thought I'd let people know just in case.

happyherbs

I live in Oregon, and we're pretty grey and rainy all the time. I suffer from quite a few major mental issues besides major depression. I have had my Vitamin D level checked pretty regularly and it's usually super low. I think the normal ranges are in the 30's and mine was at 8. A neurologist told me to take 2,000 mg everyday, just because of where I am on the map. I know that too much of any supplement can be harmful to your health, but if you are depressed and suicidal, it's benefits outweigh the risks for sure. Folate, Vitamin B12 and Magnesium are all beneficial for moods.

Happyherbs :)

dlhuwaldt

SAD and Vit. D

What form of Vit. D helps with SAD? I just bought a SAD light from Verilux and after about 5 days of using it for hours each day -- it works!

My regular quarterly meeting with my doctor just took place and she recommended that I up my Vitamin D component every day. Up to 2000 mg. I have been on depression aids for years, but amazingly the Vitamin D did make me feel a bit better. I suffer from SAD, so anything that can keep me going is very welcome news.

wanderingherb

The Daily recommended amount of Vitamin D has actually been increased.

It's vitamin D3 I take and I take 5000 IU daily. I could take more, but I am alright with the 5000 so far.

I tried to find that info, but to no avail. Sorry. But there is Vitamin D2 and D3. It is D3 that is most beneficial because of a variety of reasons, but especially due to lack of "sunshine" exposure.

As for the pancreatic cancer and relationship to Vitamin D3 if you could post up the author and study I'd like to read the study. It would take a major major amount of D3 over a period of time to cause such an issue if in fact it even did.

One medical herbalist/clinical nutritionist that does a lot of research and actually uses Vitamin D3 in his protocols is Paul Bergner. Do a search on him and his information. He's very with it and is very up to date of any recent studies.

MEDHERB.COM

Wanderingherb

hhsunset

Everything you want to know about Vitamin D

I, too, take 5000iu/day. I live in the Northeast and have seen the sun for approximately three hours in the past two weeks.

For those of you looking for more information, you'll find a wealth of it at the Vitamin D Council's website.

As you will see, higher doses of D3 are not only safe, but encouraged. As for me...while I wasn't on meds before, I can honestly say this has caused incredible mood lifts since starting with the up-dose. That, and a combination of appropriate dosages of B Complex and Vit C. I take more supplements, but these have been the real mood-shifters.

Great site!
Maria

shyness

I take Vitamin D3 too. I started out taking 2000, then every 10-14 days I bumped it up. Currently I'm on 8000 mg and I feel pretty good. I read somewhere, that you really can't have too much Vitamin D3 supplements

Hedda

If you are able to get outside for an hour a day mid-day, that can be a big help with SAD and depression. Better yet if you can walk for 45 minutes or an hour outside.

SuzyQ

I have read a lot lately about the low levels of vitamin D in people nowadays. They think it's because we are always being told to cover ourselves in the highest factor sunscreen but we all need at least 15 minutes of direct sunshine a day, not at midday obviously!