Vitamin C

SuzyQ

Do you believe that taking large amounts of vitamin C is good for staving off colds and the like? I used to take it regularly and it's true that I rarely catch a cold but I stopped when the "scientific" evidence stated that it was a waste of money because it didn't work.

smellsrfun

I really don't know. I never really took Vitamin C (except in food and drinks) and it wasn't to stop colds. If you were taking a lot and you didn't get sick, then why not stay with it? How have you been since you stopped?

Treehugger

I don't think taking huge quantities is going to prevent colds. Your body needs 90 mg a day for males and 75 mg a day for females. Your body eliminates what it doesn't use so taking more is really not going to help. Also if you smoke it gets rid of the vitamin C in your body so I would recommend you take it at night when you are getting ready to go to sleep so it has time to absorb.

Herby

Do you believe that taking large amounts of vitamin C is good for staving off colds and the like? I used to take it regularly and it's true that I rarely catch a cold but I stopped when the "scientific" evidence stated that it was a waste of money because it didn't work.
So what happened when you stopped taking vitamin C on a regular basis? Did you start getting sick? Sometimes what happens to you is more of a factor than scientific research.

moonafter

I agree with Treehugger. Your body cannot store vitamin C, so it's kinda a waste of money if you take it more than the amount needed. But it's true that your body need it everyday, so it's advised to take the proper amount of vitamin C on a regular basis.

SuzyQ

What you say about not being able to store it is one of the reasons that I stopped taking it. I don't smoke and I eat plenty of fruit but, yes, I have had a couple of colds since I stopped although they normally only last 24 hours so I should not complain.

Glinda

I think if your diet is lacking in vitamin C then a supplement is a good idea. If, however, you are getting enough from what you eat then whatever else you get in a daily multi vitamin should be good. I tend to be leery of taking large quantities of anything.

ceenis

I dated someone in high school that the mother always believed this and kept a stock of VitC pills on hand at all times for the kids. I have used them a few times and they do seem to help.

Natural

Just like the others have said, the excess of Vitamin C in the body will just be excreted. It is always better to take Vitamin C from the main source which is from fruits and vegetables.