Vick's Vaporub

Lyra

We used to use this all the time when I was growing up. I have been using it lately, as it is sometimes the only thing that will keep our noses from being stopped up all night when we have colds. And it really seems to help coughs. But I worry about it being petroleum-based. Is there a way to get that nasal-clearing vapor without the petroleum product?

WillieR

I don't know if there is. Our local Amish store stocks a product that is menthol based with lard being the carrier. Have you tried Soltice? That's an old time menthol rub that does well for us.

SoftRain

You could look into using essential oils. Pick a carrier oil, like coconut, almond, or olive and choose an essential oil. I think eucalyptus and peppermint are supposed to be good for congestion.

Pinkle

What's wrong with Vick's being petroleum-based? We use Vick's when we're sick and we haven't had any problems. We also use petroleum jelly in certain situations, and if I'm not mistaken, our Chapstick is petroleum-based as well...

Should I be concerned?

aunaturel

Being petroleum-based isn't a health issue, as far as I know, but it is one more thing that keeps America dependent on foreign oil suppliers. Petroleum products come from oil and many eco-conscious people are now trying to reduce their use of such products.

Lyra

There are some concerns with petroleum jelly being a possible carcinogenic. I don't think it is a proven risk, but I try to avoid deliberate use if I can.

Myrrh

If you want to follow the all-natural route, then maybe you can try making your own vapor rub. I saw a couple of homemade vapor rub recipes online, and you might want to check them out. Here is one which uses a carrier oil, essential oils, and beeswax pastilles.

Trudy

We grew up using Vick's Vapor Rub, but I haven't thought of it in years. The smell of it reminds me of my mom when I was little. It brings back a lot of memories. I didn't even know they still made it. Come to think of it, I haven't had a cold in years. I'm knocking on wood, too.

Luvkenny

I have two jars of it in the downstairs bathroom and two upstairs. It really works so we use it. I even put it on my feet when I am getting sick. I should try to make my own. Sure would save some money.

chabella

All Lady
At this point just about anything pointed out could be labeled as carcinogenic. I sometimes wonder how much is serious and how much is made up just to keep us in a constant state of fear.

Primrose

I'm with you Pinkle. As a child, I had bronchitis a lot. Mom never hestiated to get out the Vick's and slather my chest. My husband still uses it at night. Just a little under his nose before he puts his mask on. Claims it helps him breathe and sleep better. Some things are just tried and true.