Vicks Inhaler

Wolfette

I've been finding the old fashioned vicks inhaler which is really only menthol fumes to have really been helping me during this allergy season. Amazing how something so simple can work as well as a bunch of pills.

Funny how we forget all about treatments like this when in the store in the cold/flu section. How many of us reach for the pills or liquid without even trying to find a simpler and healthier remedy?

rayne

Amen Wolfette. The older remedys are usually the best. We have used vicks inhalers for a long time and they do work. Also, vicks vapor rub works well on congested chests. I remember my mom using this on me when I was a kid and that was quite a long time ago.

DixieMarie

I remember the Vick's Vapor Rub well. That was the first thing my mother went for if any of us came down with a bad cold. She also put a little dab under our noses. :)

I love Vicks! I know it is hard to find their aromatherapy machines anymore. They worked out great and mine ended up dying on me and I have not found any since! Kind of like the Vicks vapor bath items as well for kids and the shower tabs for adults.

hunysukle

My grandma literally put Vicks Vapor Rub inside her nose before she goes to bed. I don't see how that can be healthy, but she's 90 years old, so it must not be too destructive. I really don't care for the scent of Vicks, but I know it really does help clear up a stuffy nose. I never tried their inhaler before, but it sounds interesting.

I've never tried the inhaler either, but I read somewhere that you can get a similar effect by putting a spoonful of vick's in a pot of water and leaving it over a radiator. I've only tried it once, and it works, but I had a fun time scrubbing out my pot afterwards, haha!

I remember the Vicks treatment that my mother gave me when I was still little. I agree. It seems like the more modern the world gets, the more we forget about the old effective remedies. Your post just reminded me to find supplies of Vicks and have them at home instead of the cold and flu pills and syrups.

What is Vick's anyway? Could you get the same effect with peppermint oil and petroleum jelly or is it more complicated than that?

Vicks is a menthol based inhalant rub. It works really well on getting rid of your asthma or other symptoms. I know I use mine a lot for sinus infections.

shaunche

Vick's works better than most modern medications for congestion. I love the smell of Vick's, it instantly transports me back to my childhood. Whenever I had a cold my mum would run Vick's on my pillow and on tissues.

dissn_it

I remember Vick's from my childhood, too. I haven't used it in a long time. I didn't know that they even made an inhaler. I have seen tissues infused with Vick's and thought that was a pretty clever idea. It is funny how the tried and true remedies get forgotton!

I have often used the Vick's Vaporub, but have never heard of a Vick's inhaler! Do they sell them over the counter anywhere? I have asthma, so not sure if it would be safe to use? I would be interested to know more.

Yes, I do remember Vick's Vapor Rub. It's an indelible part of my childhood memories. However I never liked it. In fact, I don't even like the smell of any medicated oil. So I have never used it after I grew up.

I suffer from allergies on a daily basis. I did not know Vicks inhaler helped with allergies. I might have to try that. I'm tired off taking over the counter pills.

Tecca_Nina

Vicks Inhaler and the vapo rubs has always helped me. If I ever am having trouble breathing through my nose I use it and my airways get cleared right up almost immediately. It's something I always recommend to people who opt for the pill treatments instead.

stefano13

Vicks VapoRub was invented in the late 1800s, the product still remains popular for treating nasal congestion. According to Vicks.com, Vicks VapoRub Topical Ointment is the best-selling cold/flu product for people ages 2 and up. When you rub the ointment on your skin, your body heat evaporates it, and you inhale the vapors from the active ingredients of camphor, eucalyptus oil and menthol to clear your sinuses.

gina121

Inhaling Vicks vaporub added to a steaming pan of hot water is how I and my family deal with colds. For persistent coughs, rubbing the vaporub on the soles of your feet almost magically stops the cough! One of the oldest, simplest and cheapest remedies to have handy all through the year!

Esperahol

I hate the smell and it tickled to have it rubbed on as a child. It was effective, but man I have ignored it ever since.

shaunche

A natural alternative to Vicks is curry! Cook up a spicy and hot curry - it will act as a natural decongestant. Plenty of chillies and spices will do the trick and it's healthier than the artificial chemicals found in a jar of Vicks.