Vegetable and Herb Growing on Balconies

xenon

I take growing food for granted having an acreage and a hot house. Many people are unfortunate not to have outside areas to grow food but would desperately like to. The many benefits are of knowing what went into producing it and having things on hand at a moments notice. I read this book earlier this year and though it does not apply to me, I was taken at how easy you can grow food on an apartment balcony. This author, Indira, lives on the 13th floor in Sydney Australia.She seems to have plenty of luck with growing food.
Has anyone else tried inner city vegetable growing?

Google The Edible Balcony by INDIRA NAIDOO

Marina

You might really like the book "Grow Great Grub" by Gayla Trail. It's all about growing stuff in an urban area. I have the book and I love it!

I think if you really want to grow a garden, be it veggies or flowers, you can find a way. :) Container gardening has been around a long time and if done right can produce some great flowers or veggies.

gar

why not try aquaphonics. Its an eco-friendly farming pratice that uses sustainable methods to produce natural foods without chemical fertilizers via flowing water to plants going to a tank where you can also put fishes. Oxygen are supplied also by the flowing water. This system will only need about 3 sq. meters as far as i know.

seen lots of aquaphonic system in youtube, you can watch how they did it.

I am lucky as well and live on a smaller lot in the country, but big enough to grow produce on. So this is a good thing for me. However, in the winter I do not have a hot house and have to use the aerogardens for my indoor growing.

dziomek

I am lucky as well and live on a smaller lot in the country, but big enough to grow produce on. So this is a good thing for me. However, in the winter I do not have a hot house and have to use the aerogardens for my indoor growing.
I have seen the aerogardens in stores, but was unsure if they worked well. They are quite expensive I think; are they worth it?

I live in a climate where summer produce is plentiful, but in winter I have to rely on the grocery store. I would love a heated greenhouse, but it would just be a phenomenal expense to keep one heated through -40 temperatures. It would be beneficial to at least be able to grow salad greens inside during the winter.

Lyra

I am one of those who does not have space for a big garden. But I do have some stuff in pots. I have one big container for an herb garden. It's surprising how much you can grow in a small space.

dziomek

I am one of those who does not have space for a big garden. But I do have some stuff in pots. I have one big container for an herb garden. It's surprising how much you can grow in a small space.
The benefits of growing a lot in a small space is the drastic reduction in weeds. When planting in close quarters, weeds do not have much of a chance to get a foothold; and even when they do grow, they tend to be spindlier and easier to remove.