Vaseline & Wound Care

SoftRain

I had a cyst removed from my back on Monday and as part of the wound care, they told me to put Vaseline on the stitches before putting a bandage on. I do this daily. What is the purpose of the Vaseline? Is there anything more natural I can put on instead? I don't like Vaseline but I'm afraid to switch without knowing more.

aunaturel

The Vaseline is to keep the bandage from sticking to the stitches or wound, because it can open the wound back up and hinder the healing to keep ripping off the bandage. I'm not sure of anything more natural that would do the same job. A&D ointment would be good, but it has the same petroleum base, I believe.

SoftRain

OK, thanks for the information. I guess I will keep using the Vaseline. It's only for 10 days anyway so I know it won't kill me. The itch as the incision heals might, though. ;)

chabella

All Lady
Vaseline is amazing for stuff people never seem to think about. I never knew about the trick for it with medical wrap tape until I was a late teen. Using it after a shower works to keep the moisture in. Same thing works to wrap your feet in it then put on a good pair of thick socks (cooling but thick) before bed.

2Nature

I know a lot of people that use gauze pads on open wounds and when gauze needs to be changed they scream bloody murder. Vaseline solves this to some extent. But there are even better solutions. Non-adhesive gauze pads and bandages, which are pre-oiled with something like Vaseline.

Lyra

I think you might be able to use raw honey. Though honey is a sticky substance, it still forms a barrier between the wound and the gauze. That said, I've never used it for a large or deep wound. The best part is that, along with helping to keep the area clean (since it's antibacterial and anti-fungal), it may help with scarring.

Luvkenny

I would just use Vaseline. I don't think I would put honey on stitches. I use Vaseline for a lot of things. It really isn't a terrible product to use. I didn't know about the socks tip. I have horrible dry feet so I will try it.

chabella

All Lady
I hate gauze most of the time, unless we have a cream to use. It can stick quicker than glue and we had an issue a few years back were even using a cream did not help. Never get the off brand of gauze!